Thread: Jake Shields Only Cares About Money

World Champ

Star Jake Shields Only Cares About Money

Former EliteXC champion Jake Shields has a reputation as being the best welterweight fighter not currently signed with the UFC.

After his fight with Paul Daley last year, Shields called out GSP and wanted to arrange a unification title match. Due to UFC's policy not to co-promote with other organizations, Shields' suggestion was never going to happen.

Nevertheless, Jake Shields has consistently talked about how he thinks he is one of the best welterweight fighters in the world and how he wants to fight the best.

After EliteXC went under, Shields' contract was bought out by Strikeforce. he has since beat Robbie Lawler and now has one fight remaining on his contract.

Given his good credentials, one might think that Shields would be in a great position to try to simply finish off his contract with Strikeforce and then join the UFC.

Instead, few hours ago, news has surfaced that Shields is pursuing a shot for the Strikeforce Interim middleweight title.

Presumably, a fighter only takes up a title shot in an organization as big as Strikeforce if he is willing to defend the belt multiple times. As savvy a promoter as Scott Coker is, he isn't just going to let a fighter like Shields just walk away with the interim title.

All of this leads me to believe that Jake Shields really isn't interested in fighting the best fighters in the world. It seems like he is content to fight all of the Strikeforce fighters like Lawler, Riggs, Scott Smith, and others who were not good enough to stay in the UFC.

Even worse, Nick Diaz, perhaps the best Strikeforce fighter in Shields' weight class, is a training partner of Shields. The two have frequently stated that they would never fight each other.

The Strikeforce middleweight champion, Cung Le, has never had to show any BJJ skills before, so Shields would have a large advantage in a fight against Le.

By fighting for an interim title, Shields is going further and further away from ever entering the UFC.

Unless some new development comes about that convinces me otherwise, I'm not going to consider Jake Shields as someone trying to aspire to great anymore.

If he wanted greatness, he would be doing everything possible to get a fight against GSP.

Since his actions have proved otherwise, we can conclude that Shields' career decisions are primarily motivated by money.

Either that, or he watched UFC 100 and wet his pants in fear at the prospect of fighting the top UFC fighters like GSP, Alves, and Fitch.

Default Re: Jake Shields Only Cares About Money

The restriction is the "UFC's policy not to co-promote" of course when they were second fiddle to Pride, Dana was calling them out for matchups all the time.

Why can't the UFC pay for who they want? Why should established fighters take a pay cut when they've earned the right to fight in the UFC? Dana said he was one of the best fighters in the world.

For all those who say salaries are dictated by the market, if you want someone, the market says you have to pay at least as much as others are willing to pay. the UFC has a long history of not doing that as often as possible.

LOL - I'm sure he wet his pants after seeing Fitch and Alves perform at UFC 100.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

This is all a bunch of BS.
    Shields works out with Koscheck and Fitch very often in preparation for big fights. Both of those guys have gone on record indicating how legitimate Shields is. There is no way is is scared of fighting GSP or anyone else.

But that is not my point. To say that he only cares about money is shollow minded and unfounded. The guy trains his butt off and fights the best there is to offer outside the UFC. He has opportunity to fight in other orgs such as Sengoku, and Dream for a superfight if he pleases. So long as Coker is keeping his word. He gets paid well, and he has fought some of the best already. The kid is challenging the likes of Lindland. He does not appear to be ducking anybody. In fact he has been the one sitting down with the promoters to sign some of the best fighters to fight him.

Wake up, there is life outside the UFC. Jake waited for the UFC to pursue him when he was in limbo and made it publicly known. Obviously they did not try hard enough to negotiate with Jake while he allowed his contract to expire. Even if it meant to finish a couple under the Strikeforce banner. Jake has never been shy about the UFC being his dream. I would ask Jake about how negotiations went with the UFC before making such a claim.

Claudale - The UFC can't sign everybody. I'm sure they would love to have Shields on their roster, but like leglace said, we don't know how the negotiation process went and you're already putting the blame on them.
    Lets go Brent!

I read on Sherdog that the UFC wouldn't pay as much. Dana said he wanted him and called him one of the best fighters in the world.

I'm not sure how much he makes, but the UFC could afford him.

And I mocked the cross organization comment because the UFC was all for it when it was with Pride and the call out boxers
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

I heard Nick Diaz say that he makes more in Strikeforce than what the UFC was willing to pay him.

I wonder if thats what happened with Shields
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

You can't have it both ways Claudale. The fighters have a choice. They can fight in the UFC for what the UFC is willing to pay, or they can fight else where for what they are willing to pay. You complain about a monopoly so much, but now that the fighters have options, you want all of them in the UFC. Which one is it? Do you want them to have choices, or do you want the UFC to own all of them?
    Lets go Brent!

Its definitely happened with eddie alvarez.

I love how people bash athletes for getting the most money they possibly can. Their career is much shorter than the guy working in an office.

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    I read on Sherdog that the UFC wouldn't pay as much. Dana said he wanted him and called him one of the best fighters in the world.

I'm not sure how much he makes, but the UFC could afford him.

And I mocked the cross organization comment because the UFC was all for it when it was with Pride and the call out boxers
    If you read it on Sherdog, it had to be true..lol

Hey, Jake is still young. He could build up his brand more buy doing a bit of what BJ Penn did, and get himself in some odd superfights at catchweights etc... Then he could negotiate a much better contract with the UFC.

Look at how little Mir got for getting his face pounded. That was a result of being stuck under a bad contract written out when his stock was low. Shield's had little bargaining power while he was in limbo. The UFC knew they had the upper hand, and could very well have caught him in a low tier contract.

Being smart about your career does not mean you only care about money. A career in MMA is very short lived. You need to make the best out of it while your there. Acts of desperation are rarely rewarded in the long term.