Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is WEC's Business Model Going To Work Much Longer With The Fighters?

Default Re: Is WEC's Business Model Going To Work Much Longer With The Fighters?

Really? I thought ufc 98 was the most entertaining ufc event this year. That being said i only watched the strikeforce fights online so not the same experience.

Default Re: Is WEC's Business Model Going To Work Much Longer With The Fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Really? I thought ufc 98 was the most entertaining ufc event this year. That being said i only watched the strikeforce fights online so not the same experience.
    I might have just been a bit soured by the Hughes fight, but also it was a bunch of one-sided and/or frustrating fights (like Sherk-Edgar).
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

One, two, Evans is coming for you...

Somewhat similar to the strikeforce fight. Riggs dominated baroni, diaz dominated smith, rogers had the quick ko, and the main event ended pretty quickas well.

Both were good entertaining cards for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    LOL, I already have commented on the Strikeforce. The WEC card was more exciting and had much more relevance to what's going on in MMA then the Strikeforce card.
    I guess I'm not a true fan like you, VAK. If the Fertitta's involved, you always manage to see greatness.

The Strikeforce card had 5 guys ranked in the top 10, that's more than the WEC event or the upcoming UFC event. But if they aren't in the UFC, nothing counts. No wonder you discounted Fedor's accomplishments as champion in Pride; he sucks, Dana said so.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Quote Originally Posted by clmetal View Post
    I guess I'm not a true fan like you, VAK. If the Fertitta's involved, you always manage to see greatness.

The Strikeforce card had 5 guys ranked in the top 10, that's more than the WEC event or the upcoming UFC event. But if they aren't in the UFC, nothing counts. No wonder you discounted Fedor's accomplishments as champion in Pride; he sucks, Dana said so.
    Both Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields are top 10, true, but in the 182.5 lb division? How about Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith in the vaunted 179 lb. division? Oh wait, those are catchweights and so have no real affect on actual divisions or championships, and so mean little going forward?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Both Robbie Lawler and Jake Shields are top 10, true, but in the 182.5 lb division? How about Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith in the vaunted 179 lb. division? Oh wait, those are catchweights and so have no real affect on actual divisions or championships, and so mean little going forward?
    Diaz and Smith aren't ranked btw but that was a good fight. Diaz might fight Lawler next; they are now different weights and I would like to see that fight. It was popular when it was done by the UFC

I guess you think weight classes need to conform to UFC weight classes? I don't. Strikeforce has a small roster and they matchup exciting fighters. Randy can still make 205, did that make his fight with Lesnar not count? Would you not care about GSP - Penn if the belt wasn't on the line? It wasn't on the line the first time.

exciting fighters you can cound on are part of the reasoning behind Clay Guida heading this next UFC card, which I'm sure makes sense to you when Dana is behind it.

Strikeforce puts together good cards; true MMA fans should admit that. Casual fans are the ones who ignore anything done outside the UFC.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Was that post serious? You know they aren't "UFC weight classes", they are "unified rules of MMA" weight classes, right? And if you want to have championships, etc., you are required to "conform" to those weight classes. GSP-Penn was at 170 lbs. It was a title eliminator. It obviously mattered to future match ups.

Clay Guida is headlining a card because it's a free UFC card, and they are putting out monthly cards, sometimes two a month, and they only have so many fighters. Also, he's fighting Diego Sanchez, and the winner (especially if it's Diego) is likely to get a title shot. Again, important to the future of the division.

I never said Strikeforce doesn't put on good cards, exciting cards. I said that the WEC put on a card with more exciting fights, more exciting finishes, and more importance to the future of MMA titles, etc.

Strikeforce is a free card the way TUF is; both are on Cable (Showtime happens to be a premium cable channel).

The UFC has a 155 pound weight class and the rankings are based on 160 pounds, right? And if you recall, unifying rules pushed for something like 10 weight classes. Who gives a damn, they fought at a weight and that's all I care about.

Clay Guida is headlining a card because he brings it. He won't headline a PPV, but he isn't next in line for a title shot either (although Diego could be if he demanded it).

And my comments about WEC wasn't a dig on them. We get more MMA than ever, so I just watch the fights that excite me. I nearly missed this WEC event, I do like watching Uriah fight and I'm just not that into many of the other little guys. That applies to the flyweights in Japan as well - no doubt they are highspeed and skilled, but I tend to like 155 - 205 guys the most.