Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Dana White appreciation blog

Default Re: The Dana White appreciation blog

4:44 p.m.

In front of the hotel's main entrance, White greets more fans and poses for more pictures. He genuinely loves it.

"One of the great mysteries to me is how athletes and actors hide from fans," he says. "Why would you not want to talk to people who love what you do as much as you do?"

5:05 p.m.

White goes through more production meetings before he and Lorenzo Fertitta sit down with Spike TV executives at the Palms.

A few hours later White, who has eaten only two bites of chicken and some ice cream since breakfast, joins Fertitta for dinner. The two talk several times a day and seem to be inseparable. Fertitta admires what White describes as his "openly aggressive" style.

"I can't make everybody happy. Not everybody is going to love me," White says, when the topic turns to business relationships. "You get to pick with me. You want to be my friend, I'm the best friend you could ever have. You want to go the other way? I'm for sure the worst enemy you could ever have."

Midnight

It's back to Palace Station for White's favorite diversion, another round at the blackjack table.

Family is his priority, even if running the UFC often requires more of his time. His parents divorced when he was a child, leaving a lasting impression.

"My dad was actually a great influence on my life because he wasn't much of a dad," White says. "He liked to party and he didn't like hanging out with his kids. I know how I felt growing up, things that I missed out on.

"My mom is the reason that I am where I am today. She kicked me out of house when I was 17. She was a tough lady, a great mom. We all choose our path in life."

Dana and Anne went to school together and have been friends since eighth grade. When he left Boston in 1995, she picked him up at the airport. "And we literally have been together ever since," he says.

In many ways, White personifies the two faces of Las Vegas. He's a colorful character and a reflection of the Strip, operating around the clock. But he's also a family man who resides in a quiet neighborhood.

"I don't really have hours. I work 24 hours a day. There's not a time during the day that I'm not working," he says. "If it's a Sunday, and I'm not coming into the office that day, I'll be at home with my kids. But I'm on the phone 50,000 times with Lorenzo or fighters ... there's always something.

"My family and my wife have become very used to it. They get it, they know. I get to do and they get to do a lot of great things because of what goes on at the UFC.

"Is it a negative that I'm not home all the time? Sure it is. But I could be a guy who's out working three jobs trying to make ends meet. You've got to look at positives, man, not the negatives."

He talks at length about his sons. He calls Aidan a "sports maniac" who likes to skateboard. Dana III plays football and is a quarterback.

"Obviously, I've accomplished a lot of things with the UFC and mixed martial arts," he says. "But at the end of the day when it's all said and done and you're laying in that box, what's more important to me?

"It's not what I accomplished in the UFC. It's about my kids getting up there and saying I was a great dad."

2:30 a.m.

A winner at blackjack, White drives home, one crazy day in the rearview mirror and another one ahead. Maybe he'll get a few hours' sleep.
    Lets go Brent!

I wanted to know more about the jazzerboxing.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

Kudos to Mr. Dana White
    Lets go Brent!

Easily the best jazzerboxer who ever laced on the silk slippers.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com

From Phillipe Nover's Blog:

In this blog I'd like to thank a lot of people. Dana White and Joe Silva are at the top of my list for being so generous and providing me with the show money and win money. They didn't need to provide me with a single penny.. When I found this out I literally broke down in tears of joy. Every up and coming full time professional fighter knows that each check counts! When I approach Dana to thank him his exact words were ?We only care about your health. Get better and so we can get you back in that cage!? When I approach Joe to thank him later that evening. He said ?Don't you worry Phillipe. We take care of our guys. It wasn't your fault.? My hat goes off to the UFC. Thanks for taking care of me.
    Lets go Brent!

It makes sense for them to do that, Nover didnt get hurt in training the guy apparently had a seizure prior to the fights. plus from a PR standpoint its good.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

I bleieve Mr. Dana White and the UFC did this because it was the right thing to do. They take care of their own.
    Lets go Brent!

I would agree in that it was the right thing to do, its not the guys fault he had a seizure right before the fight.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

www.euromitsu.com

What Nover didn't mention is that JB paid him in glittered and bejeweled leotards.
    I heart Jazzy B. White.
    Indianamat.com