I would like to thank Randy Couture.

As an avid reader of MMA articles, periodicals and forums, the entire summer of 2010 consisted of numerous, washed-up athletes, vying for an opportunity to enter the center of the octagon. Though these athletes initially excelled in their primary sport, their intentions and overt confidence made themselves look feeble and self-indulgent, as they expected to succeed in the cage. Some of these memorable characters include: Jose Canseco, Shaquille O'Neal, Batista, Ricardo Mayorga and James Toney.

As a longtime MMA fan and Muay Thai practitioner, I usually feel a slight bitterness when someone ridicules the art. Thus, there was great anticipation when Couture was scheduled to fight "Lights Out" Toney.

Though I expected the typical, verbal onslaught from the boxing champion in the weeks prior to the match, I didn't expect such media hype and frenzy surrounding the "historical" event. The anticipation was quite suspenseful.

Upon "The Natural's" inevitable destruction of Mr. Toney in UFC 118, the true MMA fans weren't surprised by the outcome. But since that day, not one former athlete or professional entertainer has said a word about stepping into the MMA battleground. Not one.

In this case, silence IS golden, and MMA fighters deserve their respect from other physical and combat sports and athletes. Little did I realize the significance of August 28, 2010.

What a great way to end a summer! Thanks, Randy!

-RR
MMAIDIOT.COM