Marcus Davis vs. Jeremy Stephens Targeted for UFC 125
A potential slugfest between lightweight strikers Marcus Davis (17-7) and Jeremy Stephens (18-6) is being targeted for the UFC's New Year's show, and is expected to be finalized shortly.
UFC 125 takes place Jan. 1 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and is headlined by a lightweight title fight between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard. The night's main card will air live on pay-per-view, though the Davis vs. Stephens bout is scheduled for the night's unaired preliminary card.
Davis last competed at UFC 118 in August, where he lost by submission to Nate Diaz at welterweight. Shortly after the fight, Davis considered retirement, but decided to make the drop to lightweight for his next bout, a move that excited Stephens.
"I see Marcus Davis is droppn to 155. PLEASE give me that fight!" Stephens wrote on his Twitter account.
Now Joe Silva has granted Stephens his wish.
Stephens comes into the fight off of a decision loss to Melvin Guillard at UFC 119 in September. Many fans were expecting a striking war in that contest, but ended up disappointed at the lack of action in the fight. This fight should come with the same anticipated fireworks.
This fight could also prove pivotal in the careers for both men, as with the incoming lightweights from the WEC, roster spots could become slim, and a loss here would mean two losses in a row for either fighter.
Both Davis and Stephens are multiple winners of the fight night bonuses that the UFC gives away after every event, and both men will be looking to rack up another bonus performance here.
The current UFC 125 card now includes:
- Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (for UFC Lightweight Title)
- Jose Aldo vs. Josh Grispi (for UFC Featherweight Title)
- Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida
- Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim
- Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann
- Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera
- Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann
- Marcus Davis vs. Jeremy Stephens*
- Mike Brown vs. Diego Nunes*
- Cole Miller vs. Matt Wiman*
- Daniel Roberts vs. Greg Soto*
- Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares*
* - not officially announced
Stay tuned for the latest on UFC 125, as well as other MMA news.