Thread: Merkel (sp)

Default Merkel (sp)

Can anyone help me with this move's execution (slides or video or even a description)

thanks
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Default Re: Merkel (sp)

First, you need to have your opposite leg in. If you're familiar with leg riding, or maybe you call it "the boots," it's pretty simple. It's "geting a boot in" on the left side, but using your right leg instead of your left as in traditional leg riding. Then, lock your hands around your opponents near arm and head. Do not reach under like you're going to hit a 3/4 nelson, reach over top, draping your right arm between his head and right arm and your left arm under his left arm. Lock your hands. It's pretty much a reverse front-headlock.

Stretch him out! This is important. Elongate him.

Once you've done this and he is extended, roll underneath him. Dive your left shoulder under his body towards his right shoulder. If you did it right, he should be on his back and you should be parallel to him. Hold him for the fall or backpoints by maintaning the head-and-arm reverse front headlock grip and straightening the leg you have in.

Couldn't have sid it better myself. The only thing I would add is make sure you are tight hip to hip and yout foot is wraped around his ankle when you stretch him out.

Thanks to both of you, I'll try to follow your steps tomorrow
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Another way to finish...instead of rolling under, bump your oppentent to his right hip (assuming you are on the left side) as you stretch him out. Stay tight, hip to hip, an expose his back by going the opposite direction of rolling under.

I love this move and have had many wrestlers hit this move successfully.

Another good thing about this move, the "Merkel" position (leg in and hands locked) is consider control in takedown situations. The ref should award 2 pts. as soon as you gain this position.

I've also had refs call locking hands in this position. It's obviously not since it's a pinning combo.

Glad I could help, and thanks

pintowin60

Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    Another way to finish...instead of rolling under, bump your oppentent to his right hip (assuming you are on the left side) as you stretch him out. Stay tight, hip to hip, an expose his back by going the opposite direction of rolling under.

I love this move and have had many wrestlers hit this move successfully.

Another good thing about this move, the "Merkel" position (leg in and hands locked) is consider control in takedown situations. The ref should award 2 pts. as soon as you gain this position.

I've also had refs call locking hands in this position. It's obviously not since it's a pinning combo.
    They are wrong to call locking hands but not because of pinning combo, but because of head and arm. While pinning combo is criteria (near fall criteria only or immenent NF) it is the head and arm that prevent a locking hands Technical Violation call. It is a great control move for bigger guys as well IMHO.

I am 10 years old. My Dad helps me make these posts. Please share your youth wrestling stories with me.