Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Asics wrestling shoes

Default Re: Asics wrestling shoes

I am partial to my Dave Schultz's Black & Gold.....<!-- *********** THE HEADLINE SECTION ENDS HERE *********** --><!-- *********** THE DECK HEAD SECTION STARTS HERE *********** --><!-- *********** THE DECK HEAD SECTION ENDS HERE *********** --><!--plsfield:byline--><!-- *********** THE BYLINE SECTION STARTS HERE *********** --><!-- *********** THE BYLINE SECTION ENDS HERE *********** --><!--plsfield:credit--><!-- *********** THE CREDIT SECTION STARTS HERE *********** --><!-- *********** THE CREDIT SECTION ENDS HERE *********** --><!--plsfield:disp_date--><!-- *********** THE DATE SECTION STARTS HERE *********** --><!-- *********** THE DATE SECTION ENDS HERE *********** --><!--plsfield:description--><!-- *********** THE STORY TEXT STARTS HERE *********** -->

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    What're the new Asics the guys are wearing now, with the tread that wraps around the side of the shoe (on the side of the big toe)? Those things look like half wrestling shoe, half truck tire. I think Metcalf wears them, I think I saw Gilespie with them too.
    I think you are referring to the Asics Rulon model. If I am not mistaken, that is what Metcalf wears.

Quote Originally Posted by RD149-2 View Post
    old blue gables are by far the best shoe ever, only thing close is by Adidas and I think you all know of which I speak C/S
    I had a great nostalgia visit with my little brother tonight talking wrestling, opponents, matches, and shoes. The navy blue Gable's with the while ankle padding are BY FAR the best I ever wore (one match, I borrowed from a teammate for section team finals). I rocked some old school 80's model Adidas's (blue w/ neon green) with the gum rubber sole for my senior year. I found my brother the green w/yellow International Lytes while he also purchased the navy blue Combat Speed's with red stripes and yellow trim that you don't see often. He rotated them and it is fun to pull those out from time to time.

I have had some fun tracking wrestling shoes on eBay over time and was able to purchase some early 90's model Red w/ white Asics Split Seconds (before they made Split Second's) that were never worn. They were the first ever split sole design and the kids I coach were geeked out when they saw them.

I would agree that the black with red Adidas Combat Speed's are the most popular amongst many wrestlers regardless of era.

i have a pair of the yellow and black 54's which i love, fit like a glove. i also just won a pair of pursuit II's offa ebay for only 10 bucks, can't wait to try them on...

I have had some fun tracking wrestling shoes on eBay over time and was able to purchase some early 90's model Red w/ white Asics Split Seconds (before they made Split Second's) that were never worn. They were the first ever split sole design and the kids I coach were geeked out when they saw them.

Do you mean red/white split soles? I think the first split soles Asics made available to the public were ca. 1987 (they had a model which they gave to our World Team which were quite different). They had a red, black, and blue version. Then they had the blue Gable split soles with the white padding around the ankle. I think they only came in blue. I never owned a pair of those but I think they may have been the best shoes Asics has ever put out. The Split Seconds came out ca. 1988 and had a piece of rubber in between the two soles. I still have a red pair from my sophomore year in HS. They also came in both black and blue, though the blue was this real pukey color.

Quote Originally Posted by quick_single View Post

Do you mean red/white split soles? I think the first split soles Asics made available to the public were ca. 1987 (they had a model which they gave to our World Team which were quite different). They had a red, black, and blue version. Then they had the blue Gable split soles with the white padding around the ankle. I think they only came in blue. I never owned a pair of those but I think they may have been the best shoes Asics has ever put out. The Split Seconds came out ca. 1988 and had a piece of rubber in between the two soles. I still have a red pair from my sophomore year in HS. They also came in both black and blue, though the blue was this real pukey color.
    The one's I found were the red version of the shoes you are referring to and I got for around $40 after shipping on Ebay. They have just the fabric stiching between the soles and a thin neon green edge on the back vertical stripe of the Asics logo on the side. A little tight (wish I could have gotten a 1/2 size bigger), but they had never been worn and are 20 years old so I think they will stretch as I use them more. As I mentioned above, some of the kids i helped coach were offering to buy them for $1oo being that they were so unique to what they were used to.

You are correct about the navy blue Gable's. You see those old pics or videos of guys competing with them and I wish Asics would do what Nike does with its basketball line and produce a one time reissue of those.

I asked this on another thread...

66 kg World Champ is wearing the Asics Matflex. I thought they looked pretty cool, lightweight and resembling Adidas combat speeds. Apparently they are an entry level shoes in the Asics line.

Why on Earth would a world champ wear a cheap entry level shoe? There's gotta be something to them.

pic here:

http://www.jrwrestling.com/images/as...flex_royal.jpg

I think in Europe, they wear what their country gives them. I know Adidas sponsors Russia and a lot of the other European countries. You see the Saitievs in Adidas's low end shoes. Maybe they are comfortable, maybe they are what was given to them...maybe if they have to buy them they buy the cheap ones because they don't care or can't afford it.

I read a post by Jake Clark over on the mat, and he said he wore the Asics entry level shoe because it was most comfortable.

Personally, while I loved the Combat speeds, I preferred the days of Asics Rotational split sole line. The pursuits, Gable ultraflexs'. If you think about it, most of the shoes have the same sole, its the materials that make one shoe more performance based over another, See persuit and gables above.

Or for a better example, look at thecurrent Adidas Response, which is apparently the most popular of the new adidas and the SuperResponse, which is the exact same pair of kicks, but with nice materials.

I love these kind of conversations, we all sound like a bunch of foot fetishists, but our sport doesn't have much by way of accessories, so this makes for interesting conversation even more so as to why people like a certain style.

Edit: I happened to be sitting at a bar next to the VP of Sales for Brute Adidas a year or so ago. He said that the classic shoes did not sell well due to the target market being kids. For everyone of us old timers who want old school shoes for nostalgic reasons, there are 300 kids who go through 2-3 pairs of shoes in a year who want the status of newest and better.

Interesting. Not sure it has to do with what they can afford as the Saitievs, for example, have more $$ than they probably know what to do with. It could be just what is given to them from their sponsors (but wouldn't you think the sponsor would want to market/promote their newer models on World Champions?), or maybe they just think, like me, the cheaper, bare bones shoes are simply more comfy. I actually bought a pair of the R/W/B Tyrint IIs that the Saitievs wear for like $40 (including S&H) and they are extremely comfy. I actually wear them more often than the newer teal Combat Speeds, although I can do without the velcro.

You're 100% correct about our sport not having much by way of accessories. My wife was amused at the fact that I made such an impulsive purchase of the old Adidas I found on eBay, is trying to understand why I've rummaging through my parents' house to find my old Adidas, and thinks it's absolutely gross that wrestlers trade used shoes. I told her we're an odd lot, but I think she already knew that.