Thread: Wrestler awarded horses and sheep to mark victory

Default Wrestler awarded horses and sheep to mark victory

"Yokozuna" Hakuho was given more than 100 horses and sheep in his native Mongolia to celebrate his latest major sumo tournament victory. The 22-year-old was feted by 1,000 people from his father's home village where he was presented with the livestock as a gift, Japanese newspapers reported on Thursday.

Hakuho, whose real name is Munkhbat Davaajargal, won his fourth major title at the weekend, his first since being promoted to sumo's highest rank of yokozuna four months ago.

"It gives me great power to know that everyone back in Mongolia is watching me on TV," he was quoted in Japan's Nikkan Sports. "It makes me want to keep improving my sumo."
    <script><!-- D(["mb","\u003c/p\>\u003cp\> His father, Jigjid Munkhbat, is also a famous figure in\nMongolia after winning a silver medal in freestyle wrestling at\nthe 1968 Olympics. Hakuho joined troubled compatriot Asashoryu\nat the summit of Japan's ancient sport after winning his second\nstraight Emperor's Cup in May.\u003c/p\>\u003cp\> Asashoryu was promoted in January 2003 but recently\nreturned to Mongolia suffering from clinical depression after\nbeing banned for playing soccer while supposedly injured.\u003c/p\>\u003cp\> Firebrand champion Asashoryu, who has had frequent run-ins\nwith sumo authorities, is currently serving a suspension for\nhis latest brush with controversy.\u003c/p\>\u003cp\> Sumo has been without a Japanese yokozuna since Takanohana\nretired in 2003.\u003c/p\>\u003c/td\>\u003c/tr\>\u003ctr\>\u003ctd colspan\u003d\"2\" valign\u003d\"top\"\>\u003chr\>\u003c/td\>\u003c/tr\>\u003ctr\>\u003ctd colspan\u003d\"2\" valign\u003d\"top\"\>This service is not intended to encourage spam. The details provided by your colleague have been used for the sole purpose of facilitating this email communication and have not been retained by Reuters. Your personal details have not been added to any database or mailing list.\u003cp\>If you would like to receive news articles delivered to your email address, please subscribe at \u003ca href\u003d\"http://www.reuters.co.uk\" target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>www.reute rs.co.uk\u003c/a\>\u003c/p\>\u003c/td\>\u003c/tr\>\u003ctr\>\u003ctd colspan\u003d\"2\" valign\u003d\"top\"\>\u003chr\>\u003c/td\>\u003c/tr\>\u003ctr\>\u003ctd colspan\u003d\"2\" valign\u003d\"top\"\>&#169; Copyright Reuters 2007All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.\u003cp\>Quotes and other data are provided for your personal information only, and are not intended for trading purposes. Reuters, the members of its Group and its data providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the quotes or other data, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.",1] ); //--></script>
    His father, Jigjid Munkhbat, is also a famous figure in Mongolia after winning a silver medal in freestyle wrestling at the 1968 Olympics. Hakuho joined troubled compatriot Asashoryu at the summit of Japan's ancient sport after winning his second straight Emperor's Cup in May.

Asashoryu was promoted in January 2003 but recently returned to Mongolia suffering from clinical depression after being banned for playing soccer while supposedly injured.

Firebrand champion Asashoryu, who has had frequent run-ins with sumo authorities, is currently serving a suspension for his latest brush with controversy.

Sumo has been without a Japanese yokozuna since Takanohana retired in 2003.

Default Re: Wrestler awarded horses and sheep to mark victory

i am confused, is he then supposed to eat these sheep and horses as a way to keep his weight up?
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

ha, its a pretty standard gift over there.

check out my profile video!
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."