Thread: 3 questions about: braces, ringworm, and school

Electric!! 3 questions about: braces, ringworm, and school

Hi, I have top braces and I wear a top mouthguard to protect it. But I am getting bottom braces soon and I am wondering if I have to get a double mouthguard that covers both my top and bottom teeth. I read about double mouthguards making it harder to breathe. So I know that in High School Wrestling, mouthguards for braces are mandatory. Can the mouth guard just be a top mouth guard or does it have to be both?

I am a very paranoid person, so I have some questions about ringworm (and other skin diseases in general). What does ringworm look like? Is it hard to detect it early on? What are the most common spots on the body for ringworm? What causes ringworm?

I am going to High School next year and I plan to wrestle for my school. So my question is mostly directed out to current high school wrestlers. Is it difficult to get mostly A's and maybe a B or two if you are in some advanced classes? I am worried that I will not be able to juggle school and education, so do you have any tips for balancing the two? I do not want to stay up until midnight doing my homework and be tired for school and practice.

Thank you

Default Re: 3 questions about: braces, ringworm, and school

Hi, I have top braces and I wear a top mouthguard to protect it. But I am getting bottom braces soon and I am wondering if I have to get a double mouthguard that covers both my top and bottom teeth. I read about double mouthguards making it harder to breathe. So I know that in High School Wrestling, mouthguards for braces are mandatory. Can the mouth guard just be a top mouth guard or does it have to be both?

unfortunately youll want to do a double... crossfaces dont choose the upper lip and ripping your lip our of your braces won't be fun. get in great shape and hurry up and fix your teeth :P

I am a very paranoid person, so I have some questions about ringworm (and other skin diseases in general). What does ringworm look like? Is it hard to detect it early on? What are the most common spots on the body for ringworm? What causes ringworm?

ringworm will be easiest to contract on open skin. I always wore long sleeves and sweat pants in practice to cover as much body as I could (it keeps your body temp up, sweating more too) -- Shower immediately after practice and wear Kenshield or a similar body protection creme. I did this every day and never got it once.

I am going to High School next year and I plan to wrestle for my school. So my question is mostly directed out to current high school wrestlers. Is it difficult to get mostly A's and maybe a B or two if you are in some advanced classes? I am worried that I will not be able to juggle school and education, so do you have any tips for balancing the two? I do not want to stay up until midnight doing my homework and be tired for school and practice.

It depends on a lot of things:: How motivated are you to do well in school? How late are practices? How smart are you? lol...

Kids like Destin McCauley (one of the nation's top seniors this year) had a 3.7 GPA and won 5 state titles... so, its very possible to do both and do them both well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigteeth96 View Post

Thank you
    Schlottke had some great answers, I'll add some info on ringworm since I did get it and I had a hard time getting rid of it. Here is what my Anatomy and Physiology reference book said about Ringworm:

Ringworm is a skin infection caused by a fungus; ringworm can affect skin on your body (tinea corporis), scalp (tinea capitis), groin area (tinea cruris, also called jock itch), or feet (tinea pedis, also called athlete's foot).

Often, there are several patches of ringworm on your skin at once.
    Ringworm is something that can be taken care of fairly easily if you begin to treat it (use a good topical cream--lamisil is the best I've found) when you first see it appear, if you wait, and wait like I did then it can be a real pain to get rid of.

As for braces some states allow braces shields to be worn and do not require full mouth guards. I recommend at least an upper mouth guard (they can help with concussions a lot too) but for your bottom teeth you may be able to use a shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

Just an add-on to what the others have said - Kenshield is a great product - my daughter used it throughout high school and into her college wrestling and never came up with ringworm - even though she drilled with guys we later found had the infection. Keep your gear clean (wash clothes after every practice. Use disinfectant on headgear.) and your body clean. Shower as soon after practice as possible. Never, ever, ever share gear, clothing, or a towel. Never! Have a tube of Lamisil handy. I keep one in the first aid box. If someone shows up with something that might be ringworm - treat and wrap it immediately. The sooner you start treatment, the quicker you get rid of the infection. If it turns out to not be ringworm, all you've wasted is a bit of ointment and a bandaid.
    As far as school, it isn't easy to balance everything. My daughter graduated with a 4.5 GPA (lots of AP classes) and it was a lot of work. She would study on the way to and from tournaments, and often between matches. So it can be done. We have guys who have great potential who can't keep a 2.0. It hurts to lose them - but education is forever, wrestling isn't. We do everything we can to help our guys - including excusing them from practice when they have work to do. But eventually it is up to the student. Work hard, ask for help when you need it, and stay on top of your schedule and your assignments. Organization is essential.
    Good luck to you. High School is a lot of fun. Enjoy your time.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.