Thread: The Brands Bros. vs Pheasants

Default The Brands Bros. vs Pheasants

RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Default Re: The Brands Bros. vs Pheasants

That was fantastic! But, I've got a beef!

I, or anyone else I know that hunts in my area of Iowa, has yet to even see a pheasant, let alone get any shots at any.

However, they had a dog (cheaters) and I and the others that I know don't.

I'll be trying for my first bird of the year again this weekend. We'll see...
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    That was fantastic! But, I've got a beef!

I, or anyone else I know that hunts in my area of Iowa, has yet to even see a pheasant, let alone get any shots at any.

However, they had a dog (cheaters) and I and the others that I know don't.

I'll be trying for my first bird of the year again this weekend. We'll see...
    Ban - you hunt pheasant without a dog?

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Ban - you hunt pheasant without a dog?
    These days, yes. As a kid growing up in Minnesota, we had good labs that did our hunting for us (or so it seemed). However, I had a lot of "intermediate years" (without a dog) where I shot a lot of birds. They simply aren't there this year in Iowa.

Many years later and as an Iowan (after getting back into hunting again), I don't own a dog. Couple that with low pheasant numbers and you have a frustrating year of pheasant hunting.

But, as all of us outdoorsmen will tell you, it's still better to get outside than work inside in a office.

Every place I have ever gone after pheasant, you had to have a dog to get them up into the air. Otherwise, they just ran on the ground and you never got a shot.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    Every place I have ever gone after pheasant, you had to have a dog to get them up into the air. Otherwise, they just ran on the ground and you never got a shot.
    That's what I was thinking. Aside from perserve/pen raised birds, it's tough to get them to hold for a flush without the dog.

Couple that with the low numbers that a lot of states are reporting the last few years because of weather and it's even tougher to find'em without a canine sniffer.

Dogs make all of the difference, but if you think that a pheasant can't be flushed without a dog, come to Iowa sometime and we'll show you.

Given the Brands brothers fearsome reputation, I imagined they would be hunting something more scary, like bears or cougars or something

They do that too.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton