Thread: Favorite wrestling moments

Default Favorite wrestling moments

I've posted a blog about my personal favorite wrestling moments.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ndID=190150038

Default Re: Favorite wrestling moments

Good stuff, I also have the Gilliss footsweep on Maldonado as one of my all time favorite wrestling moments!

Is there anyone that wants to track down some of these "greatest moments" on YouTube and post them here?

Here's a Jesse Whitmer video from '97. Watch how he overpowers these guys. He really was the "strongest man in the world" (as Gable called him that season).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtVCTYX4gc

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    Here's a Jesse Whitmer video from '97. Watch how he overpowers these guys. He really was the "strongest man in the world" (as Gable called him that season).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtVCTYX4gc
    No matter how many times I see the clip of Gable calling him that, I cry like a baby. (It might be a weird thing about me that I cry at sports moments, not chick flicks.)

bluestater - a couple of things about Jesse Whitmer. I had watched him win his HS championship his senior year and then watched him at open tournaments throughout his career at Iowa. In the latter, he would inevitably pin his way into the quarters or semis and then meet one of those guys that could ride him (Morgan more than once). One of the keys to his championship is that he chose neutral when facing those guys.

My wife and I have season tickets fairly close to the Hawkeye bench. Every one in our immediate area were completely charmed because, after wrestling, Jesse would sit on the sidelines and "play dolls" with Mike Mena's daughter. You had to be there to know how endearing this was. BTW - I believe that Jesse is an FBI agent now.

schlottke - I think that one of our jobs as hardcore fans is to get as much video as we can on the internet. We've been lucky in Iowa to have IPTV broadcasting wrestling over the years - both HS and college. I highly recommend that all fans go there( http://www.iptv.org/wrestling/) and buy the videos they have from the 80's and 90's. During the season they also post selected matches from the year's broadcasts on their website but the NCAA limits how much they can post.

Oh, my goodness. That is the cutest thing ever.

Redshirt

[QUOTE=gg121and2;12615]I've posted a blog about my personal favorite wrestling moments.

The most unforgettable moment I've seen in college wrestling was in the 184
    lb. match in the 2002 Division I championships.

Nationally sixth ranked Josh Lambrecht of the University of Oklahoma was wiping the mat with eighth ranked Rob Rohn of Lehigh. Lambrecht was ahead 14 to 3 and needed four more points for a technical fall. If he had won, it would have been his first national title.

But with one minute, sixteen seconds left to the match, Rohn got one arm under Lambrecht's armpit and the other around his head and flipped him over
    with the "cement mixer" move he had learned in highschool. Totally surprised,
    Lambrecht landed on his back. Rohn then continued being in control with a reverse headlock and twisting Lambrecht, so that his legs were one way and his back the other, being pressed near to the mat. This prevented Lambrecht
    from bridging or using his legs very much. As the crowd roared, Rohn shifted back and forth over Lambrecht. He settled with both legs over him, one on each side. The pin came at fifteen seconds before the end of the match. It was the only fall in the final matches. Rohn also won an award for the most pins that night, three.

Watching the tape, I thought Lambrecht might have escaped by shooting his legs to the right, away from Rohn, instead of to the left just after being taken down. That would have given him more leverage. What I would ask Rohn is why he waited until the last period to use his cement mixer move.

You can see the video of this outstanding victory on YouTube, where it on sale. Just type into the search space Rob Rohn Josh Lambrecht.
    Last edited by sweat; 12-06-2007 at 04:59 PM.