Thread: Are dual meets "pre-arranged" in some sense?

Electric!! Are dual meets "pre-arranged" in some sense?

At a recent college dual meet that I went to, I noticed that all of the wrestlers from both teams, when the second and third period came around, chose the bottom in the referee's position. Is it just a coincidence? Or is it common that coaches and teams before hand (when scheduling the times, dates, and places of the dual) agree to the positions that the wrestlers would take at second and third period (whether top, bottom, or neutral, or optional start)?

Default Re: Are dual meets "pre-arranged" in some sense?

You always choose bottom so you can get the extra point for an escape. have you ever wrestled before?

The coin toss at the beginning of the dual meet determines which wrestler has choice of position in the second period (one team gets all the odd numbered matches and the other team gets the even ones). What each wrestler chooses depends on his own (or his coach's) strategy, considering such factors as his strengths and weaknesses, those of his opponent, and the score of the match.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by AcademyAspirations View Post
    You always choose bottom so you can get the extra point for an escape. have you ever wrestled before?
    I already knew that. I was just surprised at the dual meet I went to that all the wrestlers from both teams chose the same bottom position. They usually vary it up at the duals I've gone to, so I never noticed that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    The coin toss at the beginning of the dual meet determines which wrestler has choice of position in the second period (one team gets all the odd numbered matches and the other team gets the even ones). What each wrestler chooses depends on his own (or his coach's) strategy, considering such factors as his strengths and weaknesses, those of his opponent, and the score of the match.
    Oh, I see. So the coaches from both teams (perhaps after talking together) must have made it their strategy at that particular dual for their wrestlers to choose bottom at the start of the second and third periods.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleGrapevine View Post
    Oh, I see. So the coaches from both teams (perhaps after talking together) must have made it their strategy at that particular dual for their wrestlers to choose bottom at the start of the second and third periods.
    Exactly!
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.