Thread: Fastest Falls (and other pinning particulars)

Default Fastest Falls (and other pinning particulars)

Fall. Stick. Pin. All describe the same thing in amateur wrestling: The way to instantly end a match is to put both shoulders of your opponent to the mat for one full second.

There's a fascination with falls that goes beyond the college wrestling community. It's like the knockout in boxing; a win by pin takes on added significance beyond a regular decision. (In fact, in terms of team points, a fall equals six points, while a decision by 8 points or less is worth three.)

Here are some fun facts about pins...

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7...ng-particulars

Mark

PS I've attached pics of two prodigious pinners: 1920s Oklahoma State heavyweight Earl McCready (portrait)... and Dan Hodge of Oklahoma (white trunks), about to turn and pin Iowa's Gary Kurdelmeier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Hodge vs Gary Kurdelmeier Iowa.jpg.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	261  

Default Re: Fastest Falls (and other pinning particulars)

Good stuff Mark.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

2 questions?

Where does pinfall fit into the terminology?

What about Bruce Kinseth? In 1979 he pinned his way through Big Tens AND NCAAs.
    2011 NAIA Wrestling Championships, March 3, 4 & 5, Cedar Rapids, IA. I'll see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    2 questions?

Where does pinfall fit into the terminology?

What about Bruce Kinseth? In 1979 he pinned his way through Big Tens AND NCAAs.
    Hi Jim,

First, sorry that I missed Bruce Kinseth. I had seen a list of names of those who had pinned their way through the NCAAs, and worked from that. Some names were wrong (the guy hadn't accomplished that feat), and a couple were missing... including Kinseth. I will add him to my list. I guess this means I won't be able to count on that free night in one of his hotels. ;-)

(Seriously, thank you for bringing his accomplishment to my attention)

As for pinfall... it's a word I've seen in non-wrestling media, and in older student newspapers and college yearbooks. It does seem redundant, so I try not to use it, unless I'm quoting someone or an older publication.

Mark

PS Sorry I was so slow to answer -- is there a way to be notified when new posts are added to a thread I started?
    Last edited by ideamark; 09-15-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: To add a PS

Quote Originally Posted by ideamark View Post
    Hi Jim,

First, sorry that I missed Bruce Kinseth. I had seen a list of names of those who had pinned their way through the NCAAs, and worked from that. Some names were wrong (the guy hadn't accomplished that feat), and a couple were missing... including Kinseth. I will add him to my list. I guess this means I won't be able to count on that free night in one of his hotels. ;-)

(Seriously, thank you for bringing his accomplishment to my attention)

As for pinfall... it's a word I've seen in non-wrestling media, and in older student newspapers and college yearbooks. It does seem redundant, so I try not to use it, unless I'm quoting someone or an older publication.

Mark

PS Sorry I was so slow to answer -- is there a way to be notified when new posts are added to a thread I started?
    Mark,

No problem on the Kinseth thing. That's just something that most Hawkeye fans love to cite.

As for the "pinfall" question - that was meant to bait Dart Shark into a response. He HATES it when someone uses that term.

Jim
    2011 NAIA Wrestling Championships, March 3, 4 & 5, Cedar Rapids, IA. I'll see you there.