Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on poss. weight class changes.

Default Re: Thoughts on poss. weight class changes.

77 is a HUGE squad!

I honestly could not name one PA team with 77 wrestlers.

If the average program had 2 full JV teams, I'd push for adding weight classes.

Quote Originally Posted by legridder155 View Post
    Now if there isn't a place for him as a fresmen, do you think he is just going to practice for the season and wait until he gains the weight to wrestle?
    They do that in football, why can't they wait until they are a Sophomore or Junior to be varsity in wrestling? Why can't they have a year or two of experience at the JV level before being a true varsity wrestler?

Look at the product that high school football has and tell me a system of kids playing against kids their own level doesn't help the varsity team. You don't see a football coach just throwing kids out on the field that aren't prepared to be varsity athletes, but it happens all the time in wrestling.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Let me describe the state of wrestling in my area. (WPIAL AAA)

Most schools have somewhere around 20-30 wrestlers.
    Most also have a forfeit or two somewhere in the line up.

If they don't have a forfeit, they at least have a few kids who have no business in the starting line up.

Most schools also have a few studs that the opposing coaches try to match up his forfeits or weak kids against.

Therefore, the entire roster (and sometimes statisticians) gets weighed in for the varsity match to give the coach some wiggle room and get desired match- ups.

This basically eliminates JV and waters down the competition.

When I wrestled in the 80’s (with less weight classes), this didn’t happen. The line up was set and didn’t change. You didn’t have kids bumping all over the line up to exploit forfeits.

Why not have a set of rules for a smaller team. A lot like 7 on 7 football for smaller schools that can't field a full team. The smaller squads can just compete against each other. This way we could get more balanced competition in dual meets without reducing opportunities for athletes at larger schools. Maybe a school that has some success with a smaller squad can attract more athletes and, in time, they will be able to field a full squad.

They do that in football, why can't they wait until they are a Sophomore or Junior to be varsity in wrestling? Why can't they have a year or two of experience at the JV level before being a true varsity wrestler?
    They also have a freshman football team.

I agree there isn't anything wrong with freshmen or sophomores wrestling JV. So i take it that you will keep the lower weight classes for JV, but eliminate them for varsity?

They also have a freshman football team.
    Here in Indiana there are very few teams with a freshman or 'C' team. Most teams can't even fill a JV squad let alone a third team.

I agree there isn't anything wrong with freshmen or sophomores wrestling JV. So i take it that you will keep the lower weight classes for JV, but eliminate them for varsity?
    Not at all. The JV/freshman level is about experience and adding a 103lb weight class or even a 98lb weight class would help the kids at those weights.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

So a very talented 103, ( david Taylor, logan Steiber), wouldn't of been able to wrestle varsity. Have them wait until they were sophomores or maybe even jr.'s depending on the first weight class.

So a very talented 103, ( david Taylor, logan Steiber), wouldn't of been able to wrestle varsity. Have them wait until they were sophomores or maybe even jr.'s depending on the first weight class.
    If they can beat whoever else is at the lowest weight class(108-110), then they should be varsity. If they can't, they will have to wait to be varsity. My guess is that they would probably be able to beat those kids. Seeing how Stieber wrestled 112 at Fargo and did pretty well, tells me he would have been fine at 108-110 this year.

How many Stiebers or David Taylors are there out there compared to regular freshman who have no business being varsity? Should we cater to the .5% of the population of our freshman wrestlers or the other 99.5%?

Champ, I am not trying to argue here, i am just trying to make some valid points.

Personally I am not a huge fan of Freshmen wrestling varsity, even if they can beat the kid at their respective weight. I have seen to many very good freshmen on varsity and get beat up on and never pan out to what they could have become.

My main points are; let's quit worrying so much about dual meets and focus on the bigger picture, imo the state tourney. Let's start going this great sport and by eliminating weight classes you eliminate kids wanting to come out at an earlier age. That will have avery negative efect in the long run.

A 103 or 112 freshmen or sophomore today might be a 130+ in a year or two but because there isn't a weight class they won't wrestle. And as you stated earlier keep the weight for jv's doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it be the same competition at varsity?