Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collin Palmer in Sports Illustrated.

Default Collin Palmer in Sports Illustrated.

Flipping through my Sports Illustrated today, I came to a section titled "Where Will They Be?" It showcases 13 young stars in their respective sports. It had everything from race car driving to surfing. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw an entire page dedicated to St. Ed's standout Collin Palmer. Under his picture that takes up most of the page, it lists his accomplishments as well as some comments from Urbas. Judging by the SI pic Palmer won't be wrestling 125 again next season, he looks more like a beast of a 140 pounder. Absolutely Jacked!!

Default Re: Collin Palmer in Sports Illustrated.

He does look yoked. I've heard that he is already 17, is that true? For the first two months of my senior year in HS, I was 16. He's going to be 17 going into his junior year?

What's the issue FTN? What is your motive for posting the question about age?

What would be the significance of your getting an answer to your question? Let's suppose the answer is in the affirmative, then what? There HAS to be a "then what".

Consequences of this type of notoriety? Perhaps the "rankings by class" should be "rankings by age"? I suggested exactly that on themat and it didn't appear that Jason Bryant or Bob Pruesse were in a rush to jump on that bandwagon. Perhaps the NHSCA frosh, soph, and jun national folkstyle championships in April should be by AGE group instead? You think the NHSCA would do that? If not, then why not?

Maybe, just maybe, it's a non-issue.

No half measures here. If Collin Palmer's age is an issue to you, then you must campaign for age group rankings (to be properly consistent). Put up or shut up.

Put up what? I MUST campaign for age group rankings? I think you'be been hanging out at the Mat.com too much.

Quite honestly, I don't really care whether Palmer is the best sophomore, junior or senior, I only care who is the best at the weight class. If kids are allowed to redshirt in Ohio, more power to them.

"Put up what? I MUST campaign for age group rankings?"

Depends on why you ask the question about age. That was my first question to you, which you haven't answered yet (of course, you need not answer).

"I think you'be been hanging out at the Mat.com too much."

I don't know, FTN. That's where YOUR question above was asked by a poster named sparkywhite. Is that where you "heard that we was already 17"?

" Quite honestly, I don't really care whether Palmer is the best sophomore, junior or senior, I only care who is the best at the weight class."

I believe you, though this begs the question of why you brought up his age in the first place.

"If kids are allowed to redshirt in Ohio, more power to them."

Redshirt?

Jeez Steve, the article in Sports Illustrated said that he was 17. I don't have any sort of nefarious reason for pointing it out, I just find it odd that a 17 year old kid has yet to enter his junior year of HS. I grew up in PA, and most kids who are 17 would be entering their senior year. Maybe Ohio is different?

But then again, if you're going to get irate about me talking about it, then I can live without an answer.

Times do change, but I'm still on the record as saying that Palmer, or anyone, that was mentioned as a wrestler in that particular SI is a plus for wrestling. It's not just wrestling where kids are older than we used to be.

I graduated at 17 and turned 18 three days before moving into the dorms. But we see first-year cadets in the 8th grade more and more. If they hold back early, because it's academic issues -- something doesn't sink in first or second grade -- why are we going to chastise a parent for that?

I disagree with holding back in the 8th grade for athletic purposes, but really, if a kid starts off slow, should we keep him/her behind the 8-ball for the rest of his career academically?

My step-brother's older than I am, but didn't do so hot starting out in school, so he got held back and graduated a year after me, despite being older. That was in like 1st or 2nd grade. Had he been a stud athlete, what would the message board folk thought?
    Last edited by Dart Shark; 07-05-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: ambiguity

What if you get held back because you aren't big enough to wrestle 103 yet as a freshman, so you repeat 8th grade? I could name a kid that could arguably be charged with that.. lol

That is when the parents should start feeding the boy instead of starving him to death!
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.