Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top High Schools in Each State

Default Top High Schools in Each State

As voted on by Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ate/index.html

The school for Illinois, Fenwick, is my alma mater. They have decent wrestling, and excellent girls basketball, boys and girls water polo, hockey and football.

Default Re: Top High Schools in Each State

Wow... I'd have to disagree with the North Carolina selection. Independence is a football powerhouse but that's about it.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

I would have no choice but to agree with Arizonas choice Mt. View has dominated alomost everysport for the last 20yrs in AZ. I hate them because they were my rival high school and that is where my wife graduated but they are great in sports. I believe they were voted as on of the top 20 sports high schools in the nation and are now sponsored by Nike.

My daughter graduated from Owasso in Oklahoma, I have to wonder how that school got the #1 ranking, about all it is known for is its band, which is darned good, but it has been okay in other sports in general, nothing exceptional.
    The Virtual Pew
    Hollywood Jesus
    Personal Web Page
    MySpace Page
    Church Web Page

---------------------------

A certain amount of opposition is of great help to a man. Kites rise against, not with the wind. ~ John Neal

I will admit I do not know much about North Penn (PA) and what their exact standing is. However, I know that my sisters high school General McLane won both the boys Football and Basketball AAA State Championships this year... I sure hope they got some consideration.
    Champions are made while no one is watching.

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Mountain View is always really good at football and basketball, which I'm sure carries the most weight in these things. They're always right up there in wrestling too. For some reason I think that my high school, at least when I was there, usually received some award as the best athletic school in the state, but it was mostly because we were very good in the "country club" sports and decent at football and basketball (wrestling too) as well. I agree that it's hard to argue with Mt. View being #1 though. Those Mormons are tough!

Pointed this out on themat.com's thread too.

Midlothian, listed as Virginia's, has had ZERO state placewinners since 1998 (the year my records started, and the year Grips won a state title), and only FOUR state qualifiers out of the weakest region (Central) during that span from 1998-2007.

My brother is a teacher at Eden Prairie in Minnesota. That Damn school is a breeding ground for every athlete EXCEPT wrestling. Nobody has ever come out of that school as a D1 prospect in wrestling. It has some outstanding football, basketball and baseball players however.

Pretty rockin' Marching Band too! (Shameless plug for my brother)
    Last edited by goferphan; 06-22-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Don Bosco Prep in NJ has become well known for it's athletic programs. It accepts tuition paying males from across northern NJ. As much as Blair attracts the top wrestlers, Bosco attracts athletes from all sports. As long as you can run, jump, throw a ball or tussle and can pay the tuition you into Bosco and their programs. You'd be amazed at how many enroll as frosh but end up up transferring back to public because they weren't on the "A" team. It's very similar to St Ed's - allowed to draw from across a wide geographic area.

The recruiting by the preps and parochials has become so rampant in NJ, the state has begun to separate them from the publics for state championships. Wrestling team titles are separated, but the individual title championships remain an all schools 'cept Blair" tournament.
    Last edited by RYou; 06-22-2007 at 04:52 AM.