Thread: Darrell Vasquez

Star Darrell Vasquez

Does anyone know if Darrell Vasquez wrestled after high school?

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Default Re: Darrell Vasquez

Yeah, he wrestled at Cal Poly and was a couple (I think 2?) time AA. He only won the PAC-10s once I believe, losing to Scott Jorgenson from Boise a few times throughout his career. He also had a pretty well document battle w/ a rare disease one year, but he ended up coming back from it. I've heard nothing but great things about the guy, and he was always a joy to watch wrestle.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

Default Re: Darrell Vasquez

Here is the latest on Darrell V.

Two-time All-American Darrell Vasquez joins Harvard wrestling staff as the coaching assistant for 2007-08 season.

Vasquez was a three-time PAC-10 place winner, three-time NCAA qualifier and two-time top-six finisher at the NCAA Championships for Cal Poly. After red shirting his freshman season, Vasquez compiled a 30-7 overall record, finished as the runner-up at 133 pounds at the PAC 10 tournament and took sixth at the NCAAs in St. Louis, Mo., in 2004. After a breakout first-year performance, Vasquez earned a No. 2 preseason ranking before illness sidelined him for the 2004-05 season.

In 2005-06, Vasquez returned to the mat where he placed third at the PAC-10 tournament and qualified for his second NCAA Championships. In 2006-07, the senior compiled a 28-3 mark en route to an undefeated conference record and a PAC 10 championship. He went on to finish fifth at the NCAA Championships.

The native of Bakersfield, Calif., was the first four-time high school state champion in California history. He received the Dave Schultz Award as Champion of Champions in 2001 and 2002.

Vasquez is currently finishing his degree in business from Cal Poly.