Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which State Has the worst wrestling program?

Redshirt

Default Re: Which State Has the worst wrestling program?

I was joking about Roble, he's actually one of my favorite wrestlers and team wise Arizona is weak, plain and simple. Virginia now isn't no where near one of the worst. Sorry if i offended anyone, I was teched by a kid from virginia who's no slouch. two time or three time state champ. very tough kid and i've seen several tough kids from his school which i believe was nationally ranked, colonial forge? maybe idk now i'm speaking on matters i'm not sure of. i thought this whole thread was a joke and that's why i made my original comment. I truly do feel btw that Robles was arizona's best and his one leg is no insult to the state b/c i'm sure he'd kill me in a match. Isn't the USA Olympic team training in his backyard?

I guess this question is off-topic, but does Washington, DC have any high school (or middle school for that matter) wrestling programs in its city limits? I think there are some suburban wrestling programs somewhere near DC, but I guess that would count towards either Maryland or Virginia. If Washington, DC city schools do have any wrestling programs, are they any decent?

My guess would be either RI, ME, or MS.

robles only has one leg...? LoSt
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

LOL gofer. Great Bridge is traditionally the best team in VA, and might be where you are talking about. I do think that Colonial Forge had a tough team some years back, but probably not nationally ranked. I am not sure though.

Sunnyside is always the toughest team in AZ. Deberry does such a great job w/ those kids year in and year out.

Tight-Waist is right one w/ his picks for the weakest state IMO.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

[quote=homerdindon;78910]LOL gofer. Great Bridge is traditionally the best team in VA, and might be where you are talking about. I do think that Colonial Forge had a tough team some years back, but probably not nationally ranked. I am not sure though.

You are correct that Great Bridge (AAA) has been the Team to beat in VA for many years. Colonial Forge has been working hard and had a great season last year!

2008 W.I.N. Magazine ranked 8th in nation!
    2nd place at Powerade
    3rd place at Beast of the East
    4th place at Walsh Ironman
    2008 Virginia (AAA) State Champions (Great Bridge 2nd)

Last year a new High School opened up (Grassfield) and split the Great Bridge High School District they lost some kids but still did very well. Grassfield did very well for a first year team and we expect this to continue. Colonial Forge should be in the running again this year and will field a very tough squad.

These two teams are just 2 of many teams that compete and do well Nationally ie.....Christiansburg (AA), Cox (AAA), Kellam(AAA), Kempsville(AAA), Poquoson(AA) I believe you will see these teams get more exsposure in the coming years.

The states with the worst wrestling programs are Arkansas

The states with the worst wrestling programs are Arkansas and Mississippi, mainly due to the fact that neither states high school atheletic associations sanction wrestling. But from what i have heard, Arkansas will begin high school wrestling this year, leaving Mississippi as the lone one at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by cbwrestler10 View Post
    The states with the worst wrestling programs are Arkansas and Mississippi, mainly due to the fact that neither states high school atheletic associations sanction wrestling. But from what i have heard, Arkansas will begin high school wrestling this year, leaving Mississippi as the lone one at the bottom
    I had wondered if some of the smaller states such as Hawaii had wrestling or not.

That is somewhat shocking to see that a state with the population size of Mississippi does not have sanctioned wrestling.
    If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them.

~Paul Wellstone~