Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross Training in Other Sports

Default Cross Training in Other Sports

Coaches-

My son started wrestling in 7th grade and is now going into 9th grade. Wrestling is his third sport. He has played Football and Lacrosse since he was 7. He has been a good youth football player, but he is really small for JV and he is a good lacrosse player. We are not pushy with sports, he plays what he likes, not what we want him to play. He is playing in a summer lacrosse league, an indoor lacrosse league and weight lifting with the JV football team. He has attended 2 wrestling camps and plans a third (2 were local) later in the summer.

What do you think of your wrestlers playing other sports?

I am a big fan of letting kids play sports for fun and encouraging them to be as good as they can at their chosen sports. But now my son is getting into high school and high school sports are more competitive. Do you think it hurts kids to be active in many sports?

Default Re: Cross Training in Other Sports

You are only in high school for four years. Let him be in all the activities his heart desires to be in. You will have a more well-rounded kid if he participates in multiple sports.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post
    You are only in high school for four years. Let him be in all the activities his heart desires to be in. You will have a more well-rounded kid if he participates in multiple sports.
    I agree! If you want to be outstanding in a sport, especially wrestling, you have to do it all year round, but at what price? It's all about priorities. I prefer the well-rounded, happy kid to the over-intense, hyperfocused champion.

I heard a story that when Dan Gable was head coach at Iowa, he was considering recruiting a kid who was an outstanding high school wrestler, but he passed on the kid. When asked why, Gable said, "He had other interests besides wrestling."
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

If he is serious about Lacrosse then tell him to view wrestling as cross training. The same is true with football. When I was in high school our football coach (who did not coach wrestling or was not a wrestler even himself) encouraged all of his athletes to go out and wrestle. No other sport helps you with balance and tenacity more than wrestling.

And I totally agree with the others. He has 4 years to play whatever sport(s) he wants to. There is a very good chance he won't be able to compete in college so encourage him to play all the sports that he wants to now. Tell him to have fun and enjoy school.

I know some schools that encourage their students to be in only one sport and train all year round. But at our school they encourage kids to be in three sports and hand out awards and incentives for kids to do it. I personally think doing three sports is great. Now I don't know your kid and I don't know how competetive your school is with sports or how hard it is to make the team, but if he's been playing lacrosse and football since he was 7, I would think he should make the team. And with wrestling, I don't know if your school makes cuts (ours doesn't). If they don't, I would encourage to do all three sports. Wrestling is excellent conditioning. I've done cross country, track, basketball, and volleyball and by far wrestling put me in the best shape.

Olympic Champ

Playing other sports once or twice per week is great while having one sport as your main one. Seriously competing in three sports where you do each sport only for 4 months is ridiculous. Well rounded my a$$. By the time the kid is in his 20s and gets a full time job he will be fat and out of shape. Who cares what he did in high school?

You need to pick one main sport and get as good as you can at it. This prepares you for the real world! Nobody in the real world has 3 different professions each for 3-4 months a year. You have one main profession. You might spend time as a handyman around the house and with the car but you don't do it professionally if you have a full time job in something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Playing other sports once or twice per week is great while having one sport as your main one. Seriously competing in three sports where you do each sport only for 4 months is ridiculous. Well rounded my a$$. By the time the kid is in his 20s and gets a full time job he will be fat and out of shape. Who cares what he did in high school?

You need to pick one main sport and get as good as you can at it. This prepares you for the real world! Nobody in the real world has 3 different professions each for 3-4 months a year. You have one main profession. You might spend time as a handyman around the house and with the car but you don't do it professionally if you have a full time job in something else.
    Funny, I have this same discussion with my Russian friend all the time. It comes down to what the role of sports is in your life. Sports are not the same as a profession, and unlike a profession, if you don't do well in sports it's no big deal in the big picture. True, if your objective is to be the best that you can be in a certain sport, you need to focus on that sport. But if sports are simply another form of enrichment/recreation, then it is more important to enjoy it than to be a fanatic about success.

I'm not diminishing the need to do your best and try your hardest, I'm just putting it into perspective.

Olympic Champ

Funny you mention it Spider. I actually played 3 sports in high school in America when I weighed 150. I played soccer, wrestled and ran track. Well, I used soccer and track as a way to get in shape for wrestling. After soccer and track workouts I used to go wrestle at NYAC or at school if I could find partners.

That is beside the point though. The main pooint is that high shool sports like soccer are not that much fun. Not as much fun as playing soccer with friends. Why? Because in high school you get a certain position on the playing field and you have to stick with it. You are like a robot doing certain functions. Its serious business. There is not much fun.

It is much more fun playing with friends where you can play any position you want and play as much as you want.

Bottom line is no high school coach wants a kid on his team who is simply looking for recreation. Would you want a kid starting on your wrestling team who says he just wants enrichment/recreation?

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post

Bottom line is no high school coach wants a kid on his team who is simply looking for recreation. Would you want a kid starting on your wrestling team who says he just wants enrichment/recreation?
    I want a kid who's willing to give me 110% every day in practice and in every match during the season. I don't care if he wrestles in the off season, plays baseball, or marches in the band. By enrichment, I mean learning how to discipline yourself and make sacrifices. By recreation, I mean doing something you like to do.