Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this move exactly?

Default Re: What is this move exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by brickman View Post
    We used to call it the banana split
    A banana split, or can opener, or split scissors is done from a cross body ride, and your body ends up across your opponent's lower back. A spladle is usually done by hooking your opponent's leg with your leg and reaching over his back to grab the other leg. Here, your body ends up behind his neck and the pin is much tighter and more difficult to fight out of.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Brother Spider,
    I am truely amazed with your knowlege of California wrestling lore, especially since you are an east coast man as I recall. You are 100% correct on the origins of the Cooper Scooper. Glenn Cooper was a 2x California state champ back in the 70's (coming out of my home town of Sacramento (San Juan H.S. I think)) a dream team member, USWF Jr. Nat. champ and was projected to be one of the top collegiate wrestlers ever out of the Central Valley when he signed with Cal Poly. I also think he beat a younger Dave Schultz in the State meet, but could be wrong on this. Anyway, Cooper never panned out at Cal Poly, injuries and tough guys in his weights at Poly deferred his potential. He transfered to Cal Bakersfield and, Joe Seay turned his career around, as he did with SO many other great Bakersfield transfers (Joe Gonzales, Azevedo, Adam and Dan Cuestas, Perry Shea, Kevin Dugan,etc. transfers all). I think Cooper was ranked in the top 4 in D1 after winning D2 but lost early and DNP. He and Shea were two of most exciting and offensive-minded middleweights of that era, IMO.

As for the move, I think that Wade Schalles invented, or at least popularized it, a little while before Cooper made it his signature move. I heard it called "the Schalles" when I went to my first midwest training camp in the early 80's.
    Wow, that was a lot more information that I expected. Well, our head coach wears a Cal Poly wrestling shirt a lot so I'm guessing he went to a camp there and picked up the name "coop scoop". Also, we live in California, so maybe it's just the name we use here anyway.

You should ask Brad Penrith to show it to you.

I was very surprised to see a video of my wrestling hero brent metcalf getting pinned with a spladdle

Redshirt

Nick Simmons used the spladle as his signatue pin. He also used choke holds and is aka the east lansing strangler. (Michigan State in East Lansing, MI). The spladle was once described to me as a combination of a banana splits and a cradle take spl from splits and adle from cradle and you get spladle.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglechamp119 View Post
    The spladle was once described to me as a combination of a banana splits and a cradle take spl from splits and adle from cradle and you get spladle.
    That's a very interesting derivation of the name, but I don't see how it's partly a cradle since the head isn't enclosed.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I can tell you that move was a round prior to the 70's. I know, I whacked with it from neutral in a tournament in '69 by a Russian that had just transferred into a nearby school. No one had seen the move before including my coaches, one of which had been wrestling since the 30's.

After the dual we asked the guy to show us the move again since he hit me with it so quickly, we didn't know how he set it up. He had some Russian name for it we couldn't understand, so we just called it the Reverse Koshninski, after the kid. Don't ask why we added the "reverse" to it, I think it's because during the transition it's like reversing your opponent.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Lots of quality info on this thread, thanks to everyone for chiming in.

Herbert DEC Askren 5-4

Caldwell is the man @ baiting for that spladle.
    I wish I could kick Matt Dragon in the balls. In his Dragonballz.