Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona Wrestling

Default Arizona Wrestling

I'm currently debating a move to AZ(now that ASU reinstated their program), and I am just looking for some information on some of their wrestling programs. Any high school a power house? Any nationally ranked high school kids? Last years Team Champs? Local college programs? etc.

I would figure with Scottsdale being the home of Sunkist Kids, Scottsdale would be a pretty decent area, yet I was unable to find anything online... maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

I am not looking as a prospective athlete, just as a fan of the sport.

Maybe Sgallan can help?

Mayor of Bringsburg homerdindon's Avatar

Default Re: Arizona Wrestling

I wrestled in AZ, at ASU, and have dabbled in coaching a bit since I graduated, so I'll give my 2 cents.

First, AZ wrestling has taken a lot of steps backward in the past few years. When I was in school, they had 5A, 4A, 3A, and 2A/1A, which is already way too many divisions. They separated 5A into 5A Division 1 and 5A Division 2, and 4A the same way, so now it is somewhat of a joke in my opinion. There are people winning state that are mediocre wrestlers at best.

First, the only school that I would consider a powerhouse is Sunnyside, which is in Tucson. They are pretty much the best team in the state year in and year out. And I honestly don't think that will change anytime soon. Other good schools are Mesa (in Mesa) and Corona Del Sol (in Tempe). I always hear alot about Safford (which is 3A, which is the 5th highest division) and Camp Verde (2A, 6th highest division), but I never get to watch them really.

As far as individuals, it's been a weak past few years in Arizona, but it looks like there are some tough younger guys coming up. AZ did well at Sophomore Nationals last year, and had one kid win it (Ryak Finch from Safford). AZ only had one kid place at Senior Nationals last year, and he placed 8th.

I coached in Scottsdale last year, and it's actually probably the weakest part of the Phoenix area. Everyone is either rich and a pu$$y, or really into football, which is huge in Scottsdale.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

Rich and a pussy? Who would've thought.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrastler118 View Post
    Rich and a pussy? Who would've thought.
    poor and stupid....who would've thought

Quote Originally Posted by RD149-2 View Post
    poor and stupid....who would've thought
    I think I rather work with a poor and stupid person, than a rich, pussy. Poor people tend to be way tougher and much easier to help get them to be smarter, than teach a pussy to be tough.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

I agree with you for sure wrastler, and it's not even close.
    "Now class, I'd like for you to transition from downward dog....straight to FULL BRING!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by homerdindon View Post
    I agree with you for sure wrastler, and it's not even close.
    sound like a couple wet cats (poor pussy's) I'd rather associate with a rich tough guy

hmm... before this topic turns too out of control, anyone else with any insight? Thanks homerdindon, are you still coaching at Scottsdale?

I'm not sure if I'm going to coach there this year or not. I'm going to buying a house soon, and I can't afford a house in Scottsdale, so if I do coach somewhere, it probably won't be at the same place. Plus, I primarily helped out 1 or 2 guys who were pretty good, and they both graduated, so we're left with all 1st (er, 2nd now) year wrestlers who are borderline helpless. So that would be frustrating to say the least.