Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Wrestling Coaches Need a "Dress Code"

Default High School Wrestling Coaches Need a "Dress Code"

I have noticed and been appalled by how coaches dress at meets. Sometimes wearing jeans and t-shirts and even hats. To me this hurts our sport as the coaches don't give it the respect it deserves. In watching some of the state championship matches in Ohio on Flo, I noticed too many coaches are wearing jeans! Would any other coach that is directly coaching in the state finals wear jeans?

Anyway, this is a huge pet peeve of mine and I found an article to support me!

High School Wrestling Coaches Need a "Dress Code"
    By Lynn Dyche
    (Article written for Wrestling USA Magazine)

Having been involved in high school wrestling for over fifty years, I have observed many wrestling rule changes including modifications of the wrestling uniform. When I started wrestling, we wore full length leg tights with tight fitting shorts over the tights without a top or headgear. We eventually added the shirt with suspender shoulder straps and a button down crotch so that the shirt would not slide up during the match. And now, our wrestlers wear singlets with headgear and all types of fancy shoes, some without shoe laces. We also went from horsehair mats to Resilite and Polvonite mats and now the lightweight, easy to carry mats.

The only thing that hasn?t changed in high school wrestling is the appearance of the coaches. Since I have always lived in California, I thought that possibly it was only the coaches in California who appeared at dual or tournament competition in shorts, flip-flops, tank tops and warmup suits. After all, we are near the beautiful California beaches and beach attire is always ?in?. However, this is a nation wide problem among the majority of high school wrestling coaches.

Shorts and T-shirts seem to be the preferred apparel for many coaches during competitions. Coaches should be role models and dress in an appropriate manner. It is not too much to ask or require that a coach wear dress shoes, neat slacks and a polo shirt when coaching before the public. Yes, he could also wear a shirt and tie and really look professional. I never thought I would use the sport of basketball as an example, but I have always admired how the majority of basketball coaches dress when coaching their athletes at competitions. Most wear suits or sport suits and during the game they might shed their sport coats and coach in slacks, shirt and tie.

The NCAA took steps five years ago to insure that the wrestling coaches appeared in a professional manner when they added a ?Coaches Code of Conduct?. It reads as follows, ?It is the moral obligation of all collegiate wrestling coaches to conduct themselves in such a way as to reflect credit upon their institutions, their profession and themselves. Personal grooming and appropriate dress is a standard of professionalism. Jeans, T-shirt, sweat suits, or warm-up suits (top or bottom), headwear, and similar apparel are not considered suitable attire and are prohibited. Moral obligation and ethical conduct are part of winning and losing. Good sportsmanship, appearance, pride, honor and concern for the welfare of the competitors should be placed before all else. These rules have been established in the spirit of this statement?. It has also been clarified that school medical staff or trainers will also dress professionally if sitting on the team bench. The college wrestling coaches are setting a positive example by dressing in a professional manner. They look good. Is it asking too much of our high school wrestling coaches to dress in a similar manner?

High School Coaches, I compare this Code of Conduct? to another situation that we are encountering at the present time, and that is the mandatory weight certification programs being instituted. We had the opportunity to take responsibility for making some recommendations and setting some standards for weight reduction and control. However, we did not act. We just hoped the problem would go away. It didn?t and now it?s being forced upon you. If you cannot police yourselves by dressing appropriately in a professional manner, then I recommend that the National High School Federation establish a ?Coaches? Code of Conduct? stating the minimal dress standards for high school wrestling coaches during competition. I anticipate that this will be done in the near future.

High School Wrestling Coaches?it?s time you start looking professional.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Default Re: High School Wrestling Coaches Need a "Dress Code"

I've only occasionally seen coaches wear t-shirts while coaching. Our coaches usually wore jeans and a polo with the school's name on it. Well, one coach always wears warm-up pants but he won't change. In the state finals, I don't think I've ever seen any coach in Iowa wear anything but a suit.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

It's hard enough to find coaches that are willing to take over programs as it is. Some programs are having their stipends taken away. Most of these guys do this for the kids not themselves. Just today we found out that the local school districts have cut the transportation budget for the year. Now coaches will need to fundraise or ask parents to drive and drive themselves. Obviously this is more money out of their already shallow pockets. How can we hold coaches to a "dress code" and expect them to respect the school's wishes when they are already being asked to do so many other things. Most programs have bigger issues than worrying about how their coaches are dressed.

On the other hand I do agree that some coaches dress inappropriately. Asking coaches to wear slacks and dress shoes is overboard in my opinion. After spending 8-10 hours on a Saturday in a hot stuffy gym will result in more unprofessional looking coaches than a team shirt and jeans/shorts with tennis shoes (scratch the sandals). I feel that a shirt and hat representing your team is appropriate.

Again this is my opinion.

I wear jeans and a polo to our meets. Hate slacks or khakis. And never wear ties. Not even for my wedding. I live around a lot of farmers and country folk so wearing a suit and tie isn't exactly their cup of tea or mine. I'm paid to coach not look like I'm going to prom.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

I wear a Shirt and Tie at dual meets and usually jeans and a school shirt at tournaments with the occasional hat. I have got to be a little comfortable at a tourney or else I would get very agitated by the end of it.

Wrestling will keep being treated like a second class sport when the coaches treat it that way. You'll never see the basketball coach in jeans or shorts coaching and the same goes for the football coach. What other sports do you see the coaches in jeans? Wearing a nice pair of khakis is NOT uncomfortable.

With the opinions of a few it seems like we will continue to be our own worst enemies.
    I will smash your face into a car windshield and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!

Tell me about it, this morning, I woke up and I shit a squirrel, but what I can't get is the damn thing is still alive. So now, I've got a shit covered squirrel running around my office and I don't know what to name it.

Honestly, I could care less what the b-ball and football coaches are wearing. They are a bunch of posers.

If I wear jeans to be comfortable for a tournament has no bearing on the demise of college wrestling. People not paying to come to duals and not bothering to donate serious money to the programs is the demise.
    Oregon Wrestling Forum www.theowf.net/the_owf

Don't you know who I am? I'm the JUGGERNAUT BIATCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Champ Kind View Post
    Wrestling will keep being treated like a second class sport when the coaches treat it that way. You'll never see the basketball coach in jeans or shorts coaching and the same goes for the football coach. What other sports do you see the coaches in jeans? Wearing a nice pair of khakis is NOT uncomfortable.

With the opinions of a few it seems like we will continue to be our own worst enemies.
    The coahes in other sports dont sit at tournament for 13hours a day for multiple days either. If I owned more that one pair of khakis I would wear them. But like wrastler I dont really care because I am not the focus the kids are and you see what they are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by wrastler118 View Post
    Honestly, I could care less what the b-ball and football coaches are wearing. They are a bunch of posers.

If I wear jeans to be comfortable for a tournament has no bearing on the demise of college wrestling. People not paying to come to duals and not bothering to donate serious money to the programs is the demise.
    It seriously helps administrators view wrestling as a second class sport when coaches go out there in jeans. The attitude against the other coaches is another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The coahes in other sports dont sit at tournament for 13hours a day for multiple days either. If I owned more that one pair of khakis I would wear them. But like wrastler I dont really care because I am not the focus the kids are and you see what they are wearing.
    I sit at work 10 hours a day in khakis and am comfortable. I'm not saying a suit and tie, but a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt would do wonders for the perception of the sport.

How would you view the president of the bank wearing jeans and a hat when you went in to ask for a loan? Why not show some professionalism and dress like you are not just some hobo off the street?