Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Welch

Default Re: Jason Welch

Welch took it to some guys at Midlands who are as big as Winston.IMO Welch would beat him.

Welch is pretty unique. He is easily as flexible as any wrestler I have seen in a long time, even moreso than Big Ben.

I do agree though that his mat wrestling may be a bit suspect for the time being but he is so good and so technically sound that I'm sure he will get much better at that once he hits the NU room.

Also, he has the ability to change his style whenever he needs to. Sean Nemec was quite the beast and he beat him 3-0 at the Ironman last year.

I also love the Winston kid but I think that Welch would beat him in a pretty close match. Too bad Rutgers and Northwestern will probably never wrestle each other. Maybe some day down the road......

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I think he's quicker but he cant funk nearly as well as Askren...
    Hasn't shown that he's needed the funk just yet, as he's blowing dudes away with the raw speed and slickness. When his competitiors inevitably start evening up with him, he'll need to rely on some tricks. Then we'll get to see what his funk is all about. He'll be good with it, he's flexible as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by xganjax2 View Post
    no way in hell this kid beats winston based on size alone
    i went to high school wit welch and his dad was my coach.. this kid is probably going to go in history for one of the greatest wrestlers. he is the hardest working kid i know. not only did he wrestle but he also played soccer which is in the same season. He also played football for a power house football team in high school and dominated at Defensive tackle only weighing in at 170... he is the best wrestler in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by javthesav75 View Post
    i went to high school wit welch and his dad was my coach.. this kid is probably going to go in history for one of the greatest wrestlers. he is the hardest working kid i know. not only did he wrestle but he also played soccer which is in the same season. He also played football for a power house football team in high school and dominated at Defensive tackle only weighing in at 170... he is the best wrestler in the nation.
    Yeah, heard this kid is so damn busy his intake is 7000-8000 calories a day! Unbelievable. When he devotes all of his energy to wrestling at NW, things may get scary.

He beats Welch by size alone??? Your kidding right?? Welch will out funk and just out wrestle him thru the whole match. Would love to see it!

That's just it...this kid's unorthodox body style says nothing about his mat genius...go to Youtube and watch his match with Sean Nemec (St. Edwards) from 2006 Ironman Tourney, Nemec was defending champion at this tournament...He lets the musclemen wear themselves out while he counters and waits to capitalize on their mistakes...Welch also placed 5th at the Midlands Tournament (a Premier College Tourney)...I

Welch's style is amazing. I can see him going huge next season! Freshmen NCAA champ?

are you kiding? Even though Welch is very dominant on nuetral, he's still been taken down several times this year, not just at midlands.