Thread: Chris Phillips, Ironman OW

Default Chris Phillips, Ironman OW

"For some reason, I think that this match- should it come to pass- will be one of those rare matches that wrestling fans are talking about many years from now."

This quote is from OhioWrestlingSite's Ironman forecast. It's talking about a possible Ironman final between Chris Phillips vs. Brian Roddy at 171.

Suffice to say that all Ohio eyes were on Chris Phillips as he took to the mat to begin his varsity career for Monroeville High School. What a setting for his debut.

Friday:

There wasn't much to focus on in his first match (Huddlston of Harrison GA) which was over in 15 seconds.

His second match was against N Allegheny's Karl Deciantis which rated to be "troublesome", per Intermat's forecast. And it was despite the "comfortable" seeming 6-3 score. In fact, the 3 point margin was the closest any wrestler would get to Phillips. As in all of his matches, Phillips took the lead with marvelously crisp and precise techniques.,But he seemed to tire in the third period (other observers can correct me). At the end he seemed to be barely hanging on against Deciantis. I watched him walk to the scorer table post-match and he looked exhausted in motion and demeanor.

As I drove home, I thought about how tough it would be for this freshman to face all seniors (as Saturday's matches rated to be) the next day. How much was going to be in the gas tank when he got to the critical third periods? Especially against somelike like Brian Roddy who is a third period machine. I questioned if he could get past Peltier, though he owed him one for a summertime freestyle pin, when Chris had the lead.

Saturday in the wee hours:

Funny thing happened overnight. Phillips topped off his gas tank (or he simply got a good night's sleep), because the next day completely dispelled any reservations about his lasting power for 6 minutes.

Saturday:

His QF against Peltier and semi against Thomussiet were carbon copies of the Deciantis match with one monster exception. There was no hint of third period fading. I kept looking for it against Peltier and it never happened! I was thinking OMG, this is incredible.

After watching his four matches, it was no surprise that he could jump out to a lead on Roddy (Intermat has a good blow-by-blow). His techniques are unmatched in this field of wrestlers. It's just that, after viewing the day's two earlier matches, it could not longer be a surprise that, by the 6 minute mark, he had every bit as much engine left as Roddy. Final score, Chris Phillips 7, Brian Roddy 3. I'm in awe.

What an unforgettable performance.
    Last edited by LkwdSteve; 12-09-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: Chris Phillips, Ironman OW

Quote Originally Posted by LkwdSteve View Post
    "For some reason, I think that this match- should it come to pass- will be one of those rare matches that wrestling fans are talking about many years from now."

This quote is from OhioWrestlingSite's Ironman forecast. It's talking about a possible Ironman final between Chris Phillips vs. Brian Roddy at 171.

Suffice to say that all Ohio eyes were on Chris Phillips as he took to the mat to begin his varsity career for Monroeville High School. What a setting for his debut.

Friday:

There wasn't much to focus on in his first match (Huddlston of Harrison GA) which was over in 15 seconds.

His second match was against N Allegheny's Karl Deciantis which rated to be "troublesome", per Intermat's forecast. And it was despite the "comfortable" seeming 6-3 score. In fact, the 3 point margin was the closest any wrestler would get to Phillips. As in all of his matches, Phillips took the lead with marvelously crisp and precise techniques.,But he seemed to tire in the third period (other observers can correct me). At the end he seemed to be barely hanging on against Deciantis. I watched him walk to the scorer table post-match and he looked exhausted in motion and demeanor.

As I drove home, I thought about how tough it would be for this freshman to face all seniors (as Saturday's matches rated to be) the next day. How much was going to be in the gas tank when he got to the critical third periods? Especially against somelike like Brian Roddy who is a third period machine. I questioned if he could get past Peltier, though he owed him one for a summertime freestyle pin, when Chris had the lead.

Saturday in the wee hours:

Funny thing happened overnight. Phillips topped off his gas tank (or he simply got a good night's sleep), because the next day completely dispelled any reservations about his lasting power for 6 minutes.

Saturday:

His QF against Peltier and semi against Thomussiet were carbon copies of the Deciantis match with one monster exception. There was no hint of third period fading. I kept looking for it against Peltier and it never happened! I was thinking OMG, this is incredible.

After watching his four matches, it was no surprise that he could jump out to a lead on Roddy (Intermat has a good blow-by-blow). His techniques are unmatched in this field of wrestlers. It's just that, after viewing the day's two earlier matches, it could not longer be a surprise that, by the 6 minute mark, he had every bit as much engine left as Roddy. Final score, Chris Phillips 7, Brian Roddy 3. I'm in awe.

What an unforgettable performance.
    Great post Steve, very informative. Where is Monroeville anyways and what div are they??

Here is the match, Chris Phillips, Monreville vs. Brian Roddy, St Eds

Obviously, a 9th grader winning Ironman is a big deal, winning it at an upper weight like this is very impressive. I guess Destin McCauley does have some competition out there for the best 9th grader

Ken,

Think 15 miles straight south of Sandusky, on Rt. 20, and you have Monroeville. Division 3 school. Nowheresville.

All the wrestling power from Sandusky west(to border with Indiana) is in division 2 and 3 schools. Since they (mainly Toledo schools) don't fare all that well in Ohio's division one, the real power of the NWOhio gets short shrift. But when you add up the exploits of Delta, Clyde, Pemberville Eastwood, Oak Harbor, and Sandusky St. Mary, you get an impressive record.

This is an incredible story for the Ohio wrestling fan. A school that up to last year never had a state champ and maybe only one state placer in their history. This year they parley 3 fargo cadet championships into three Ironman championships. Plus Cam Tessari, the "other" Monroeville wrestler, placed 6th at the Ironman at 112, which would seem to put him in the mix for the division 3 title at that weight.