Thread: Question about eligibility of H.S. Wrestlers in College Opens during H.S. Season...

Default Question about eligibility of H.S. Wrestlers in College Opens during H.S. Season...

Quentin Wright, a wrestler for Bald Eagle Area(near Penn State University), competed and won the Nittany Lion Open on Dec. 1st/2nd. Great job by a H.S. Wrestler!!!!

Anyway, what is the policy(of the PIAA or other State Wrestling Organizations across the USA) concerning H.S. Wrestlers competing in College Open Tournaments???

I thought that a few years ago, that the PIAA no longer allowed Pennsylvania H.S. wrestlers to compete in College Open Tournaments once H.S. Wrestling Season/Practice began(---usually by Mid November)??? (---I know this is why H.S. wrestlers from Pa. go to the Eastern Michigan Open,etc. in early November to compete and not violate their H.S. Eligibility).

If anyone can clarify this situation, please post....

Default Re: Question about eligibility of H.S. Wrestlers in College Opens during H.S. Season...

It depends on the state in question.

Ohio's is that if you're on a team, once that team starts its practices, you can't compete in non-interscholastic competition. Teams in other sports have gotten clobbered for it. I've also seen individual athletes circumvent that by not joining the team until late.