Thread: How many matches?

Default How many matches?

How many matches did you guys get to wrestle in a hs career?

In PA in the late 80's, it was extremely uncommon to wrestle varsity as a freshman. So, I'd estimate the average 3 year starter wrestled about 100-110 matches.

I was at a season opening tourny this weekend and there was a junior with 100 wins. This means some of these guys are wrestling 200 matches in a career.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's definately a change.

Default Re: How many matches?

Less than 150 in 4 yrs....125-17-2. Same era as you, 86-89.

In 3 years on varsity (I missed my entire junior year to elbow surgery from a football injury) I about 120-130 matches. So It worked out to be about 40 matches a year, although I never went very deep into the post season tournaments, so there were people who had a lot more matches than me. This was a different era than you guys though. (1999-2003)

I think a lot of kids don't have as many duals as they used to, so the number of matches the kids are getting has increased quite a bit.

I only had 104 varsity matches in 4 years(75-28-1). Freshman year I was only part time and Junior year I missed out on about 10 possible matches with mono and an ankle injury. Same era as you guys 87/88 - 90/91 seasons.

Still, it's amazing to see kids with 50-60 matches in a season.

a wrestler in NC last year went 91-0, finishing with a career record of 284-6. Over the last few years, 19 NC wrestlers have had 200+ career wins. This year the NCHSAA implemented a rule limiting the number of matches to 55 the week of the conference tournaments. So, they could still end up with 65-70 after the postseason.

NC Career wins list: http://ncmat.com/etc/career_wins.html

Single season wins records:
    http://ncmat.com/etc/season_wins.pdf
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    a wrestler in NC last year went 91-0, finishing with a career record of 284-6. Over the last few years, 19 NC wrestlers have had 200+ career wins. This year the NCHSAA implemented a rule limiting the number of matches to 55 the week of the conference tournaments. So, they could still end up with 65-70 after the postseason.

NC Career wins list: http://ncmat.com/etc/career_wins.html

Single season wins records:
    http://ncmat.com/etc/season_wins.pdf

91 wins in a year? That is nearly 1 per day. Wow.

yeah... the previous rule regarding competition limits was that each week, a team could compete in two duals, or a dual and a tri, or a dual and a "tournament." And no more than 5 matches in one day. Well, what started happening was more and more of these 2 day dual team "tournaments" where kids would get 5 matches on Friday and 5 matches on Saturday. Plus their dual match from earlier in the week. So, 11 matches in one week.

Now, in addition to the 55 match limit, teams are only allowed to compete in ONE of those 2-day dual tourneys during the season.
    Super 32 Challenge - October 26-27, 2013

"Good things happen when you wrestle for a full seven minutes." -- Jayson Ness, post-finals press conference

I know the MSHSL increased the number of matches you could wrestle regular season while I was in high school from 34 to 36. 55 I think is excessive. Although, having to weigh in that often would prevent having to cut massive amounts of weight, as you wouldn't have a week between matches to get fat.

I finished with 100 matches 87-90 I was hurt for half of my jr and sr year though , so would probly have about 25 to 30 more had I not been hurt.
    Last edited by single leg; 12-04-2007 at 12:29 AM.