Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Wrestling Fact About Your School

Default A Wrestling Fact About Your School

I am pretty new to the wrestling scene as far as being a real fan. I have always just focused on my team, which you all probably know by now is Owatonna. But being out of high school now and being engaged to a girl from Apple Valley, i want to be a fan of the sport and not just a school. So if you could i think a fact or a brief history of what your team has done would be fun and great to help me understand what some of the other schools have done in their history that i may not know about.
    I guess i will start with Owatonna-In the 2004-2005 season they went 60-1 and had their highest national ranking ever at number 5. The only team they lost to was Carl Sandburg, IL 31-18 at The Clash, where Owatonna was the runner up. That year they were led by Russell Smith to a state title. Durning their run the beat AV 4 straight times.
    Owatonna has had a state champ each of the last 4 years;
    2007 Pat Mahan(215 Lbs)-45-0 after state and then placed 4th at nationals
    2006 Derek Skala(160 Lbs)-41-5
    2005 Russell Smith(171 Lbs)-49-0(I'm not totally positive on the wins)
    2004 Alex Meger(103 Lbs)-49-0(Once again not totally positive on the win total)

Default Re: A Wrestling Fact About Your School

I've been a volunteer assistant high school coach here in Connecticut since probably before you were born, but I haven't followed my own high school team, so I can't tell you how they've been doing. Still, I'm happy to give you a bit of trivia about them. Brookline (Mass) High's first varsity wrestling match was in December of 1963, and victory was clinched in the 157 lb. weight class when a skinny junior with the nickname of Spider pinned his opponent with a half nelson and one-on-one.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Apple Valley, MN has the only two seventh grade High School state champions in Minnesota history. (might be pretty proud of their state titles, too)

How many does Apple Valley have? I know its like 8 in the last 10 years...but other than that lol. By the way do u live in MN right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I've been a volunteer assistant high school coach here in Connecticut since probably before you were born, but I haven't followed my own high school team, so I can't tell you how they've been doing. Still, I'm happy to give you a bit of trivia about them. Brookline (Mass) High's first varsity wrestling match was in December of 1963, and victory was clinched in the 157 lb. weight class when a skinny junior with the nickname of Spider pinned his opponent with a half nelson and one-on-one.
    Nice. Wish i had a story like that lol. What school are you a volunteer coach for?

Quote Originally Posted by MNFan View Post
    How many does Apple Valley have? I know its like 8 in the last 10 years...but other than that lol. By the way do u live in MN right now?
    Yes, I live up by Forest Lake in Lindstrom.

I know they lost in 1998 (I pinned, it wasn't my fault.. lol), and I believe 2004.

I don't even know the total off hand, and I'm too lazy to look it up.. I'm guessing 12 or 13.

Upper Arlington High School (Columbus, Ohio)

Going through a rough time right now, but at one point in the mid-80's UA was the best big school (AAA/DI) in central Ohio. I don't know if the record still stands, but in '86 they finished 3rd in AAA which at the time was the highest finish by a AAA school from central Ohio ever. The school has produced 3 wrestlers who earned state titles and two wrestlers who earned AA status at NCAA's.

Cleveland West High School. Closed in 1970. Still holds the record for having most state wrestling champs in a single year: 6 in 1951.

A caveat. The state championship was still an invitational (I think) that was being held at various Cleveland area locations. It moved to Columbus in 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by MNFan View Post
    Nice. Wish i had a story like that lol. What school are you a volunteer coach for?

Southington High School in Connecticut. We've been very highly ranked for the last few years, but I can't take any credit for that - we have an excellent head coach and a good feeder program for younger kids.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.