Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Awn High School Wrestling Team Ranking

Default Awn High School Wrestling Team Ranking

Here are the rankings and then a comment from the ranker. What does everyone think?

Amateur Wrestling News: "Prep 40" Preseason Poll
    Bob Preusse
    November 2007

1. Blair Academy, NJ
    2. St. Paris Graham, OH
    3. Oak Park, MO
    4. Apple Valley, MN
    5. Waverly-Shell Rock, IA
    6. Lakewood St. Edward, OH
    7. Montini Catholic, IL
    8. Iowa City West, IA
    9. Glenbard North, IL
    10. Clovis, CA
    11. Poway, CA
    12. Carl Sandburg, IL
    13. Christiansburg, VA
    14. Caesar Rodney, DE
    15. Bishop Lynch, TX
    16. Wyoming Seminary, PA
    17. Central Dauphin, PA
    18. Brandon, FL
    19. Easton, PA
    20. Roseburg, OR
    21. Bishop Carroll, KS
    22. Rockford, MI
    23. Troy Christian, OH
    24. Northampton, PA
    25. Hastings, MN
    26. Colonial Forge, VA
    27. Providence Catholic, IL
    28. Don Bosco, IA
    29. McDonough School, MD
    30. Jackson Memorial, NJ
    31. Catoosa, OK
    32. Flathead, MT
    33. Broken Arrow, OK
    34. Parkersburg, WV
    35. Canby, OR
    36. Chicago St. Rita, IL
    37. Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    38. St. Mark, DE
    39. Kaukauna, WI
    40. Camden Catholic, NJ

Then Bob made this comment on ohiowrestling.net:

"If the Ironman winner doesnt lose the remainder of thier schedule I would have to conclude that team is # 1--- can never exclude other teams in other areas of the country, but it adds up that Ironman champ if he goes unbeaten the rest of the way is # 1. "

So is he saying that no matter what, a team like Apple Valley has no shot at #1 because they do not attend Ironman? I admit that I am not very open minded when it comes to Bob, so what are everyone elses thoughts on the comments and rankings? I think a few PA teams may be a little low, but we will see once the season gets rolling.

Default Re: Awn Team Ranking

Bob doesn't always give enough love to Apple Valley...

Just not sure that you can put so much into a pre season ranking that if the highest ranked team wins the first tournament of the year, that they will automatically be the #1 at the end of the year if they win out. Pre season rankings really don't mean that much! Who is to say that the winner of Reno or The Beast(if it is not Blair who also goes to IM) is not the best team? Blair is a team that will improve throughout the year, so just because they do not win in Dec, does not mean they won't be the best in Feb. Also gotta give teams like Apple Valley an opprtunity to move up.

I personally pull for the midwest schools, but how could you argue against ranking a team #1 that wins the Ironman and runs the table?
    Simple way to earn some love, make sure you have Ironman or the Beast on your schedule each year, that'll help.

Bob is a tool...

Always nice to see CR representing Delaware up in the Top 15.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Bob is a tool...

Jensen, we agree...on both points!

You are from De right? If so, do we know each other through wrestling by chance?

"So is he saying that no matter what, a team like Apple Valley has no shot at #1 because they do not attend Ironman?"

Come on Concord, this is not what was said. I'd bet that Apple Valley COULD get it depending on circumstances. AV blows everyone away and the other top teams have a weak effort here or there. AWN pays attention to the clash, for sure.

You posted your complaint on themat also, and even if you get nods of agreement from the little enclave over there, I think a great many posters will react like Trusty, above.

Yes, you were banned as one act of some very peculiar goings-on on the BT forum. Sure as hell didn't seem just to me. But that doesn't mean you should go off the deep end forevermore. Let it go.

Talk wrestling. This can be a good forum for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Bob is a tool...

How about a little more love for the top tournament directors? Who else can create, from scratch, top tournaments besides Bob, Adrian, and Sleepy Eyes?

I respect the Ironman as a tournament, it and the Beast are 1A and 1B in my opinion.

And while I'll admit I don't know Bob personally, he doesn't paint a very flattering picture of himself with his attitude that he displays over the Net. Hence my comment.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12