Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to get better at takedowns (shots) in wrestling?

Default Re: How to get better takedowns in wrestling?

Quote Originally Posted by krazy kaju View Post
    Hey, others can benefit from this thread too.

Like me...
    Any followups you may have, feel free..
    Last edited by Schlottke; 11-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Olympic Champ

My advice:

For high crotch start drilling shots on your opponent by having him get in a wrestling stance with legs spread apart shoulder width and knees bent but not too much. Step with the same foot as the arm that will grab his leg. Step and change level at the same time and put your foot between his feet and maybe even a little farther. At the same time change levels and grab his high crotch real tight with hips right under your shoulders and not far away. Your head should be to the side of the leg that you grab and there should be no space between your body and his leg. After this just switch to the double and drive across for a finish.

For the double leg do the same except grab the double right away.

For the throw I would suggest what I would call a sag headlock. Put one hand on the guy's shoulder and another over his opposite arm. Have him lean into you slightly. When he does just do a headlock throw by turning away from him and dropping your hips straight to the mat.

First of all, I gotta say this site is awesome. I've been looking for a wrestling site/forum for quite some time now, and have been mainly posting on BJJ, judo, sub. wrestling, SAMBO, and MMA sites till now.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Any followups you may have, feel free..

Thanks for offering help.

My main problem is setting up shots (mainly singles and high crotches, sometimes I'll go for a double). I usually have trouble in the entire hand/gripfighting area of wrestling, and I'm not usually able to control my opponents wrists or to gain any good control of his arms. What are some techniques I could use to help set up my opponent.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

One thing that always works for me is to know two or three finishes from the same shot. Don't get stuck in finishing the same way all the time. You never know when you'll get a guy that can block your best finish so train it to be second nature to feel that block and switch. About going to your back, you have to know when the takedown is failed. It's much better to go to your stomach than your back but once you get to your stomach it's time to move without hesitation.

About those high-c's remember that those moves arent muscle moves so if you have to muscle them then your probably doing something wrong. And the same for that front headlock "sag drop," if you get a good front headlock on him and turn his head tilt his head like you should then a lot of times he will want to go over instead of getting his neck cranked. Has anyone every heard of the Bella Klausoff headlock?
    It is a move i picked up in freestyle but it's illegal in folk style unless you do a variation.
    Last edited by stickem15; 11-13-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: additions

When shooting; focus on getting your hips in an "advantage position" before the "fight" starts...its not just getting to the leg-its getting to the leg in a strong position to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by ISU2008 View Post
    My advice is to keep moving. Get the guy to move and when you get in on a shot, don't stop, keep following your motion. Also, practice finishing shots for all positions so even if you end up taking a bad shot you can still score.
    This is excellent advice. I see it way too often that kids take the shot, then have to pause before finishing. That split second is all their opponent needs to get back into position to counter the shot. So, keep moving and creating angles and driving in to your finish. And as was also said, learn what the common counters are to your moves and practice drilling what finishes to switch off to depending on what counter your opponent uses.

Movement on your feet and creating angles, changing levels, all the while maintaining a good solid stance is critical. I see tons of kids just standing there locked into a collar tie with no motion to make their opponent adjust. Watch one of the many Cael matches on the internet and notice how he was always moving on his feet. Always creating an angle, pushing, pulling and snapping, changing levels and working to get the other guy out of position. Even he was guilty at times of moving a little too much in a straight line (ex. gold medal match), but at least he was moving. Kolat and Tom Brands are also excellent guys to watch for constant motion on their feet and constantly making their opponent adjust. That to me is the key to creating opportunities for takedowns. After that it's just a matter of getting your timing down, getting deep penetration, and not stopping until the takedown is secured once the shot is initiated.

What is a Doug Blubaugh style armbar?

Quote Originally Posted by therick View Post
    This is excellent advice. I see it way too often that kids take the shot, then have to pause before finishing. That split second is all their opponent needs to get back into position to counter the shot. So, keep moving and creating angles and driving in to your finish. And as was also said, learn what the common counters are to your moves and practice drilling what finishes to switch off to depending on what counter your opponent uses.

Movement on your feet and creating angles, changing levels, all the while maintaining a good solid stance is critical. I see tons of kids just standing there locked into a collar tie with no motion to make their opponent adjust. Watch one of the many Cael matches on the internet and notice how he was always moving on his feet. Always creating an angle, pushing, pulling and snapping, changing levels and working to get the other guy out of position. Even he was guilty at times of moving a little too much in a straight line (ex. gold medal match), but at least he was moving. Kolat and Tom Brands are also excellent guys to watch for constant motion on their feet and constantly making their opponent adjust. That to me is the key to creating opportunities for takedowns. After that it's just a matter of getting your timing down, getting deep penetration, and not stopping until the takedown is secured once the shot is initiated.

I just call it a Blubaugh because I learned the technique from him at a clinic when I was in 8th grade. I actually saw him at the same tournament three years in a row and he always showed his arm bar technique among other things.

I'll see if I can find a clip of someone doing it the way he taught it.

Incidentally, I went to a camp at Ohio State a few years later and Russ Hellickson taught the exact same move, with exactly the same technique, so it's certainly nothing unusual.

All very good infomation. I'll just add that when you take a shot, don't shoot at your opponent, but try to shoot through him. If you try to hit him where he is, he'll be moving back and you won't make solid contact. If you aim your shot behind him, you'll get in good and tight and be able to finish the takedown more easily.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.