Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get better at takedowns (shots) in wrestling?

Default Re: How to get better takedowns in wrestling?

Quote Originally Posted by Concord87 View Post
    Few tips. As someone stated, takedowns in HS are easy if you work at them. Stance is key on your feet, never come out of a good stance. Set ups- without a good set up, you better be wrestling a practice dummy if you want the td. Always move opponenst head, snapping down, push shoulders, clear his wrist and dont shoot unless you can reach out and touch your opponent. Shooting from too far away may be why you are on the mat and not his leg. Practice, practice and more practice. My kids hate it, but we run thorough 15 min of stance drill minimum a day.
    "takedowns in HS are easy if you work at them"

i don't particularly agree with that statement unless you are some of these premier wrestlers on this forum...like jensens i had to work hard AND they weren't always easy...

it really depended on my opponent...if he and I were both going to open up and get after it, takedowns fell like rain...if he decided that he was going to avoid being taken down then it got to be a little bit more complicated...

if i got into a match where a guy was more interested in tapping my head and avoiding being taken down and i knew i was superior, i enacted the Gabriel Dretsch upright, lean in stance and started going for some throws...i was pretty good on my feet and can't remember ever being thrown (on video anyway!) so i liked my chances for some scoring that way...this would usually not come until the second or third period though until I had exhausted my efforts and leg attacks or unless I already knew the opponent was going to "Nagel" on me.

(that was for you Jensens!)
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

It shouldn't be phrased as "easy" to complete the entire act of taking someone down- I was saying that if you are in good position as you are entering the shot, odds are he/she is going to be fairly easy to take down.

Low singles and Hi-C's (to a lesser extent), are a little less cut and dry because you are positioning yourself directly under your opponent w/ only one of his legs contained.

Blast Doubles, Ankle Picks, Sweep Singles, and Front Heads. Keep you out from under your opponent, more wind in your sail, and a pretty solid Risk/Return on Investment (energy).

but they are not as fun as the standing cow catcher or the bull rush headlock hip toss...

i used to love knowing that i had an opponent that i could do this too and end my night in :40 seconds.

it didn't happen often but when you are in 5th grade and your opponent is wearing Star War's tube socks, its generally safe to assume he might be a candidate for either of these moves...

just a tip from Gof...
    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak."

so where is the Putz that started this thread?

we are all giving him great advice (other than me) and he is nowhere to be found...

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    it didn't happen often but when you are in 5th grade and your opponent is wearing Star War's tube socks, its generally safe to assume he might be a candidate for either of these moves...
    Yea but if he is in high school and wears Star Wars tube socks, you know he's a candidate!
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I said fifth grade ISU. In highschool they are much tougher to spot because the really good ones AND the really bad ones might wear Star Wars socks...you will find out pretty quickly which guy you grabbed when you sink in the bull rush headlock and end up getting heal kicked back onto your back...

I wrestled a blind kid in a JV wrestling match in Apple Valley one year and almost felt bad for the kid until he took me down once, then again...I got down by five before I figured out feeling bad was only going to get me tech'd.

No in high school, the really good ones wear Spongebob socks. Or shoelaces.
    You do the math..... I'll do the alfredo!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

actually when i was in highschool it was thundercats!

Quote Originally Posted by goferphan View Post
    so where is the Putz that started this thread?

we are all giving him great advice (other than me) and he is nowhere to be found...

Hey, others can benefit from this thread too.

Like me...