Thread: You be the referree

Default You be the referree

This is the 182lb Ohio state DII finals between Chaz Gresham and Huston Evans. They had a great match last year in the finals and met again this year. I am not a ref and this is one of the matches that makes me glad I'm not. There are several controversial calls. The first stall call, the last stall call and the slam. I don't think I would've called the first stalling or the last just because there was only 2 seconds left. I don't know what I would've called on the slam.

http://www.gohiocasts.com/coverage/2...ston-Evans-SPG

Default Re: You be the referree

Slam was a good call. He must bring the wrestler back to the mat in control. Most likely they are looking for the knee of the controlling wrestler to hit first. This did not happen. Evans' back hit the mat first and Gresham landed on top of him. As for the stalling calls. The first was bogus. The last 2 were justified. Evans played defense the entire time on their feet. If you notice, there was no reaction from Jordan. He knew it was coming.
    BRUTUS BUCKEYE WILL TAKE YOU DOWN...

I pretty much agree, I would just hate to have made or not made the calls. Without the first stalling call and everything else stays the same, Evans wins in regulation. But you never know if Gresham would have done something different without the benefit of the first stall. Tough one to ref, IMO.

if you guys are talking about the call @ 4:03 in, that's a BS call. what's the difference between that move and a throw (a clean head throw that would get a 5pt in freestyle or greco)? there is none. i think that the Stalling call was a guilt call for blowing the back points.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueagent08 View Post
    if you guys are talking about the call @ 4:03 in, that's a BS call. what's the difference between that move and a throw (a clean head throw that would get a 5pt in freestyle or greco)? there is none. i think that the Stalling call was a guilt call for blowing the back points.
    I agree. That is a strong, clean return to the mat that did not appear was done with unnecessary or malicious intent/force. Didn't land him on his head or whip the body excessively during the return. Notice that directly after the return, the bottom guy is fighting to get off his back instantly, with no indication that he has been stunned or hurt by the throw. Isn't hurt when he gets back up directly after being launched, and doesn't take any injury time.

But, I have never heard that the knee of the top guy has to hit the mat first, which it didn't, so if that is actually the case then by the rule it would be illegal. But I would not have called that slam, and I think the kid is pinned as well.

As far as the stall calls, I agree with them all. Didn't see the St Paris kid take many shots if any at all and I'm sure the ref was in his ear about it at least once during the match. This is the state finals. The refs are going to expect more action from a finalist than this kid was willing to provide. A few armdrags, and then hanging on the head for a while was about it. The right guy won.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I agree. That is a strong, clean return to the mat that did not appear was done with unnecessary or malicious intent/force. Didn't land him on his head or whip the body excessively during the return. Notice that directly after the return, the bottom guy is fighting to get off his back instantly, with no indication that he has been stunned or hurt by the throw. Isn't hurt when he gets back up directly after being launched, and doesn't take any injury time.

But, I have never heard that the knee of the top guy has to hit the mat first, which it didn't, so if that is actually the case then by the rule it would be illegal. But I would not have called that slam, and I think the kid is pinned as well.
    I must be an older fart than oldfart because I remember the rule about the knee hitting first, but even if the knee hit first, you still couldn't slam the guy to the mat with excessive force. I also remember an old rule (or interpretation) that if you lift your opponent off the mat, you are responsible for his safe return. I didn't look at the video, but I agree with what oldfart said about slams in general, except that even if he bounces back up safe and healthy, it still would be an illegal slam if his opponent had brought him to the mat with excessive force.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.