Thread: Tournament day eating

Default Tournament day eating

Ok, so I have a stud that I coach and his last few tournaments have lead me to believe we might have some problems with our diet that could be leading to some sluggishness.

He has made the finals of every tournament we've wrestled the last two years(including state) but the last few I've noticed a real drop off in his energy level. He'll win his semi-final match around 11:30-12, and then won't wrestle again until 6:45 or so. In between those times he'll eat some regular meals: pasta, some meat, fruits etc. Then the finals happen and he's a bit sluggish and gasses really quick(he's in very good shape).

One of my assistants said he used to eat 2 power bars shortly before each finals match and would feel good as new after. I don't necessarily trust him explicitly so I turn to my TWT brethren for advice.

Thanks.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Default Re: Tournament day eating

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but it has several tips for dual meets and tournaments.

Wrestling Competition Nutritional System - Bill Swertfager

Looks like some good nutritional information on that site Quinn.

2 power bars before a match probably only works on some people. I would test that theory on an easier opponent. That might not be good for most people.

Eating meat and pasta in between matches doesn't sound like the best things to eat, I would stick to lighter and easier digestible type foods, but a "little" pasta should be good. The less fat the better.

There's always good supplements out there for fast/quick energy, but I feel everyone's body is different and reacts to certain things better than others. I would test out a few different ideas and see what works the best.

Also, I would imagine the competition is better in the finals, so that could be a reason why you would tire more quickly. Make sure in practice he gets pounded on occasion and gets worked to the brink, and after that, do even more conditioning and light weight training.

That's my 2 cents.

Have him bring some protein along with him in a shaker bottle (make sure its powder that he adds water to and mixes up, the pre-mixed ones are garbage) and some fruit (banana, apple, etc...).

I would avoid stuff like PowerBars, personally.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

"If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12