Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you say technique beats a guy with excellent strength and conditioning any day?

Default Re: Would you say technique beats a guy with excellent strength and conditioning any day?

In my personal opinion technique should be your main priority but that doesn't go to say you don't need the others. Really if you want to be the best wrestler you can be you have to be strong, well conditioned, fast, and smart with technique. To shankbob technique isn't always considered the number of moves you know. Its how well you do them. You may only know 10 moves but if you do them 100% correct your going to be good. Most moves done perfect can't be countered.

Default Re: Would you say technique beats a guy with excellent strength and conditioning any day?

Even great athletes (strong, fast, well conditioned etc) need effective technique. A physically gifted wrestler doesn't necessarily have to know every move or have a huge arsenal. Every wrestler needs a few solid scoring techniques that will work on good opponents, and solid defensive positioning.

no, and there's a perfect example of that on my team. while technique is 90% of it, strength and speed are extremely important. our jv 135, who's been wrestling four years has awesome technique and the nastiest crossface i've ever seen have no upper body strengh so he gets consistantly beat by kids that are much worse wrestlers tha n him, only better athletes.

You need all the factors to beat everyone. Technique, strength, speed, power, and conditioning. Train all of them constantly and hard and I promise you that you will win. Yea you might have the best technique in the country, but without proper conditioning you will tire easily and quickly and your technique will dimish quickly. But if you had that proper conditioning, you would be able to last throughout the whole match and keep your moves coming.

For example, look at Georgi Ketoev at Beijing this year. He is considered one of the worlds best technicians and he is. He wins everything. But if you look at his match against the Georgian in the semis i think, you could well see his conditioning was very poor and ended up getting pinned. So much for the "all you need is flawless technique and you can forget about everything else" phrase. You could tell how gassed Ketoev looked in his match, but the Georgian on the other hand looked like he could go all day long. Not only that but his technique was great too. I think Ketoev's cause of fatigue throughout the day was of all the weight he had to cut to get down to 84kg. All that left him tired and spent.

So basically you need all of it. You can't have one without the other.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Also, you don't need to know 1,000 different moves to win and be great. No more than 5-15 could get you were you want. As long as you perfect those ceratin moves and hit them easily and flawless then you will win.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!