Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying Up With Stronger Guys

Hybrid View

Default Tying Up With Stronger Guys

I feel like I'm getting completely dominated in the tie up, I'm a lot taller than most of the people I wrestle and my favorite shots are low singles and blast doubles, so I usually head tap or rake the face and hit my shots, but yesterday during fall league wrestling I was getting dominated in the tie ups. I like sweep singles in the tie, but I feel like I couldn't hold my ties well enough or move them enough to set up up without them pulling on my head, what are good tie ups for a taller, lankier guy to use?

I use underhooks occasionally which work well, I plan to start using them more, but what else can I use to set up my sweep single and ankle picks or is there something I'm doing wrong to get killed in the ties?

Default Re: Tying Up With Stronger Guys

Do you use a v block to keep guys at bay a bit, it's also a great way to set up the sweep when the guy tries to come inside? What ties are you using, and how are you getting "dominated?"

There could be something wrong with what you're doing in ties, but would like a little more info to really form a hypothesis.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Sorry for all these questions, I feel like I ask a new one every day.

But I like to use inside tie, so I can hit the far arm, near leg sweep, and I like to use collar and wrist/not sure what its called, they have a collar on tie and i bring my arm over top and inside and snap down, not sure what its called and I can't explain it all that well, but its like how I described, if that makes sense if not I'll try and find a video of it.

I feel like they are pulling my head and constantly putting me in a bad position; snapping my head down and not letting me get control and keeping their elbows in. Most getting beat up in the collar tie.

And also, what is a v block? That might be what I was trying to describe but I'm not sure.

V block is like a post to the inside of his elbow or right at his shoulder. WIth a straight arm.

If you aren't doing well in the ties, don't let the guy tie up. Try to control a wrist or a two on one, or shuck him by when he tries to lock up with you. With your longer amrs, you should be able to keep a lot of guys away from you. If they insist on coming after you to lock up, that's a good opportunity to shoot on them.

Do you have technique wave Laynerz? Matt Pell shows exactly what I'm trying to describe.

I need to work on controlling wrists more, I lose them a lot when I get them, but I could shoot when they roll it out, if I pulled in as they roll out, right? When you say shucking him by do you mean like a throw by?

No Technique Wave yet, working on my mom to let me get it. I think I understand what you're saying though.

If you know anything about Russian (two-on-one) ties, you can abuse guys who hang on their collar ties. Try and get some of that going. If you want something simpler, you can just do some elbow control work (elbow passes, duckunders). An elbow pass can be a great setup to a sweep single as well - when you pass it, the opponent normally circles in the opposite direction to avoid the high crotch, then you shoot a sweep to the side he circles towards.
    Am I cool now?

I've worked with a Russian before, a lot of the guys I've been wrestling lately have been using just collar ties so I need to work on getting into wrists and Russian.

With the elbow pass sweep single, do you mean like you pass the elbow on your left side, and shoot for the leg on your right side?