Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Picks

Default Ankle Picks

I've got a few questions about ankle picks, I'm pretty tall, just over 6 feet and weigh 140 - 143, I'm decent at a low single and I've heard from a few people that I should learn them because of my length. Unfortunately I don't have very much access to a coach. Anyways, what are the best set ups for ankle picks?

And, when I do them, whats the best position for them? It seems like when I try them, they can kind of charge into me and get all off balance, I've never really did them, so I don't know.

Any other tips about ankle picks?

Default Re: Ankle Picks

The best was to set up those ankle picks is to be heavy on the head and make your opponent circle. If you get them to step in to you all you have to do is a hard club to the head, while blocking the back of that near ankle with your hand, then just drive in and you should have your takedown.

Head position and proper collar tie use is key. Really control the head, make sure you arent in anything resembling an ear to ear tie. Cael teaches to have your head above his for leverage and to have some space both vertically and horizontally. Makes sure your not collar tie is free or controlling a wrist.

Easiest set up is this: If you are right hand collar, circle to your right to bring out his right foot. When you get a big step out of his right foot drop your level KEEP THE HEAD, and cup his ankle. If he pulls that foot back you can go cross ankle pick or to a sweep.

Learning to control and keep the head are key.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

If you are circling away from the ankle you want to attack wouldn't a single be there if they weren't taking big steps forward with the ankle you want to attack so you could use both of them depending on how you're opponent reacted?

Quote Originally Posted by Laynerz View Post
    If you are circling away from the ankle you want to attack wouldn't a single be there if they weren't taking big steps forward with the ankle you want to attack so you could use both of them depending on how you're opponent reacted?
    Possibly. However, in all likelihood the guy will have your elbow controlled on your collar hand making it really hard to sweep. But you are correct to consider how one set up could dictate another if they arent giving the look you are looking for.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Older thread, sorry to bump it up. But when I do ankle picks, or attempt them, it feels like I'm choreographing it and and a few of the people I've wrestled tell me they can feel it coming, do I just need to keep drilling it to where its more natural, or do I need to add fakes in or anything? I'd really like to be successful at attacking the ankles, but I just feel like I'm letting them know what I'm going for when I try to set them up for it

Try varying your setups. Everyone knows the reliable collar tie, wrist setup but you can also hit ankle picks from an underhook, overhook, russian, elbow control, front headlock, overtie, collar + inside and more. A lot of it is also just continuously moving your feet and using hand fighting to make your opponent move. Watch some film if you get the time. Watch matches of Cam Simaz, Cael Sanderson and David Taylor - all of these wrestlers find ways to get into their low shots.

Here's a few of Cam Simaz for example.
    http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage...craig-kelliher
    http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage...San-Fran-State
    Am I cool now?

In honor of Schlottke, you wouldn't have gotten a better answer to this question than he could have given you. It was his bread and butter move.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Work on your duckunder as well. Mastering both the duckunder and the ankle pick will be a brutal combination. Stay heavy on the head when you're working for the pick, and then when you release the pressure you may have an opportunity for a duck.