Thread: Saw the weirdest pin today

Default Saw the weirdest pin today

While at my nephew's district tournament, I saw a pin that I've never seen called before. Referees please let me know if this is legit.

I know it was a Graham kid, I think it was Crabtree. He was on bottom and the top kid chopped his left arm and then reached between the legs to grab the wrist with his own left hand. Top guy then threaded his right arm over bottom's back and under his left arm up to the elbow and leaned back for the tilt. (I have always called it the Indiana tilt, but....)

Anyway, when he leaned back, the ref kept motioning that he didn't have the angle for the back points yet. So, the top kid kept leaning back in an attempt to break the 45% angle. Out of no where, the ref blows the whistle and calls a pin.

The two kids sat on their knees staring at each other, bewildered. The Graham faithful started shouting down the ref, as did the other team's fans. When the ref brought both kids to the center of the mat, he raised the Graham kid's hand.

I have seen defensive pins before, but usually it is because the defensive wrestler stopped the motion or action of the offensive one. I have never seen or heard of this one before.

Default Re: Saw the weirdest pin today

So the Graham kid, on bottom, got put in a ball-and-chain and tilted from there, and then won? That sounds like a bad call.

Quote Originally Posted by moochaka View Post
    So the Graham kid, on bottom, got put in a ball-and-chain and tilted from there, and then won? That sounds like a bad call.
    Yeah. He did nothing to alter the motion or stop the move, either. I've never seen it before.

The oddest pin I've seen personally is in a freestyle match... a guy got behind his opponent, tried to suplay him, tripped over his own feet and fell on his back. Touch fall.

I remember a video floating arund on these forums where a guy had his opponent in a real tight cradle, and rolled onto his own back while trying to pin his opponent. They called him pinned as well, similar to your scenario.

I've never heard of a rule that requires the defensive wrestler to do anything to gain a defensive pin when offense holds his own shoulders to the mat.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    I've never heard of a rule that requires the defensive wrestler to do anything to gain a defensive pin when offense holds his own shoulders to the mat.
    Very interesting. That is why I asked this question. I am actually a referee for middle school and junior high. I was told (I think) that a defensive pin could only happen if the kid actually stopped momentum or in some way altered the move. I thought it was kind of like a guy stuck in a double leg td who grabs around the waist of the guy who shot in. I have always scored it in a way that that guy can keep a hold of the waist and not get pinned (even if he lays on his shoulders) until the guy going for the td actually gets the td.

But, I ask because I actually called a pin when a kid's shoulders were out of bounds. The dad screamed that a kid can't be pinned out of bounds and I said (sarcastically) that he could because it just happened. I had confused the td rule with the pin rule. Not my most shining moment. lol

Again, that is why I ask because I am darn near positive that a defensive pin means that the defensive wrestler actually did something to stop the move.

You can't be pinned out of bounds, nor can you score nearfall.

However, you can be pinned that position you described. If the top man puts both blades on the mat long enough it is a pin regardless of what the guy in the tilt is or is not doing.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    You can't be pinned out of bounds, nor can you score nearfall.

However, you can be pinned that position you described. If the top man puts both blades on the mat long enough it is a pin regardless of what the guy in the tilt is or is not doing.
    I guess that is why I haven't got the call to ref in "the big show."

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I guess that is why I haven't got the call to ref in "the big show."
    No offense, but yes that's probably why, and that's probably a good thing, lol.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.