For Devin Pommerenke (No. 2 @ HWT) Suffers Season Ending Injury and many other topics visit HSWrestling.net

Rogers City (MI) superstar heavyweight Devin Pommerenke?s impressive high school wrestling career has come to a sudden and unfortunate end.

Devin Pommerenke (No. 2 @ HWT) ruptured a tendon in his right knee during a match at the Northern Michigan Championships in Gaylord on Jan. 29, prematurely ending his season.

During a bout with Kingsley?s Tyler Croton, Pommerenke twisted the wrong way and felt a pop.* Though he went down to his knees in some pain, he was able to finish the match, pinning Croton in 2:51, but was slow to get up afterward and had to be helped off the mat.

?I was thinking, ?Ouch, this kinda hurts. I might as well pin him as quick as I can,? Pommerenke said.

Pommerenke figured it was just a sprain and that he?d be back on the mat the next week, but the pain he felt turned out to be something a lot more serious.

The injury was diagnosed as a torn popliteus tendon, torn posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and a stretched fibular collateral ligament (LCL). It meant his high school wrestling career was over, ending his chances at winning a third straight state title.

Up until the injury, Pommerenke hadn?t lost a match since his freshman year, posting back-to-back 59-0 seasons as a sophomore and junior and winning two state championships.* He was 39-0 this season.

The nationally ranked heavyweight will continue his wrestling career next year at Central Michigan University, though he will get a medical redshirt after talking with Chippewas? coach Tom Borrelli. If all goes well he?ll be ready to wrestle again by next January or February.

To Continue Reading Story by James Anderson on TheAlpenaNews.com