Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Wrestling | Stand ups, Sit outs, Switches, & other Bottom Wrestling Technique

Default Re: Using the Stand Up?

i've found when i do a stand up it works best if i just clear my arms right away (don't move my legs at all), from there i can get hand control, then bring up a knee, and i just keep scrambling to get up.

Default Re: Using the Stand Up?

Get a 2 on one and break his grip. Back arch a little and pressure away from him, and then throw away his hand and spin out

Default Re: Questions about Bottom Position

My Big 3
    1.Explode off the whistle
    2.Get Hand Control
    3.Don't stop moving

You have to be able to string together 2,3,4 moves sometimes

Actually, hand control isn't the most important part of the stand up.

When you stand up, explode up and backwards (lower back pressure) and keep your elbows tucked tight to your sides and your arms tight. This prevents your opponent from getting a good inside grip to mat return you. Then, you can fight 2 on 1 for hand control (don't go for the waist hand)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsurf View Post
    Actually, hand control isn't the most important part of the stand up.

When you stand up, explode up and backwards (lower back pressure) and keep your elbows tucked tight to your sides and your arms tight. This prevents your opponent from getting a good inside grip to mat return you. Then, you can fight 2 on 1 for hand control (don't go for the waist hand)
    Bingo! As long as you keep your elbows in and keep him from locking his hands, or getting inside you'll be able to face up when you get to your feet.

As had been said, stand up, stand up, stand up and keep practicing over and over in practice. They guys who rarely get ridden are the ones who get to their feet right away every time. Gregor Gillespie, Mike Pucillo, Steve Luke, Brent Metcalf are all examples of guys who are usually out within a few seconds of the whistle.

I always go straight for the standup but as I get broken down again sometimes, army crawling back up to the base can be hard to me for some reason.

a lot of guys have problem when kids drop down to their ankles. That prevents a lot of stand ups

when I try to hit my standup I have trouble actually standing up. My coach tells us not to step forward with our leg. I have to do it because I can't be solid on my knee and foot in that position. They always manage to knock me down. What do you guys usually do to prevent this and actually be able to standup?

mpaul--Your coach is correct. Don't step, but rather the movement shouyld be more of a "skating" of the hips. It's kind of tough to describe, without visual. The point is to slide your hips under you, without stepping.

Here's a complete breakdown though:

[ame="http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234202/102950-cliff-moore-standup-series"]Cliff Moore Standup Series | Technique Tuesday on Flowrestling[/ame]