Thread: Should I be thinking about what to do during a match?

Default Should I be thinking about what to do during a match?

Example: In neutral, should I be thinking "take him down with a single or double leg fast" or should I be thinking of every take down I know?

I keep hearing from my peers and coaches "think of what you are going to do out there"
    But I am thinking that if I think of what to do, then I will only be focused on those moves and if the opponent is not giving an opening for that move, then I will be confused.
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone who takes the time to read this, and thank you so much to everyone who responds.

Edit: Also, I think I wrestle collegiate or folkstyle. I have heard of greco and freestyle. Is it possible to combine all three styles and use the legal moves for collegiate wrestling? What is the difference between these styles?

Default Re: Should I think be thinking about what to do during a match?

Think about the matches you have had and that you have watched. When the ref blows his whistle, what happens? Most of the time the two wrestlers stand there, shuffling their feet, looking at each other, waiting to see if the other guy is going to do something. Before the whistle, think about what you want to do. Do you want to hit a single? Visualize the move. Then, when the whistle blows - DO IT! If you try to hit it on the whistle, while your opponent is still in the feet shuffling mode, you have a great chance of getting the takedown. If you don't hit the shot, and he counters, counter his counter. That is called wrestling.
    In the down position, I ask my wrestlers to be prepared to go for three moves - on the whistle. You will rarely escape on the first move you try - but if you follow that move with another and another - chain wrestling - then you have the initiative and your opponent is reacting to you. Odds on that you will get free - and plant a major doubt in his head. Same thing when up - what are you going to do to control him - if you wait for him to move and react you have given the initiative over to your opponent.
    As for the differences between collegiate, greco, and freestyle - that is the subject of books!

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

wrestle smart and focus

I read an article on Flowrestling about this subject.

http://www.flowrestling.org/blogs/bl...t-for-football

I'd definitely do what he says. My coach made me follow a game plan and I won a lot of matches this year just sticking on my snap the head-underhook-knee tap in nuetral, chop-tight-waist-bull drive-arm bar and stand up-sit out-stand up game plans for top, bottom nuetral. Focus on learning a few things and make it so they seem natural.

Default Re: Should I be thinking about what to do during a match?

Thanks Laynerz, I noticed that when I have a gameplan, I can actually sort out my thoughts. If I am taken down, I immediately think get to my belly and work my self up. If I am on top, I will have to keep thinking of keeping my weight on him and breaking him down and then I will see what pinning combination will work. When I am in neutral, I will look for good opportunities for take downs while being alert of the opponent attacking.