Thread: If you lose by points, is that as bad as losing by a pin?

Default If you lose by points, is that as bad as losing by a pin?

During my last match I believe I performed horribly, but I learned what my key mistake was, so I am working on that. However, I don't think I performed so poorly on bottom. I didn't get any escape or reversals, but I did resist all the pinning combination he used on me for more than a whole period total. Is not getting pinned kind of like winning, but not technically?

Also, during my other match, I got pinned . BUT, I know I could have won if I escaped from bottom during the multiple times I had the chance. Question: When I was standing up from bottom, my opponent kept on tripping me down. How do I avoid these trips? He used so many trips on me that match.

Thanks

Default Re: If you lose by points, is that as bad as losing by a pin?

Better stand-up technique will help you avoid trips.

http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/videos/CatID-3/
    RIP Jacob Schlottke; KR1963 and rpayton

Quote Originally Posted by bigteeth96 View Post
    Is not getting pinned kind of like winning, but not technically?
    That depends on why you didn't get pinned. If all you did was kind of lay there and not try any moves yourself, then not getting pinned is just as bad as getting pinned,IMO. If you get pinned because you are trying your own moves, it's kind of liked getting knocked out in boxing. There is no shame in trying to make something happen, that is how you learn. If all you try to do is not get pinned, then that's all you will get good at. In the end, a loss is a loss, so you might as well go for the win. If you get caught and pinned, learn from it.

What's important is that you do your best in every match and leave everything you have on the mat. It's better to lose to a superior opponent in a great effort than to win by a pin, but wrestle terribly.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to try my best to avoid getting pinned, but I will also not only wrestle to not get pinned, but to do my best out there.

Scoring is different depending on the format. If you are wrestling in a dual meet and you get pinned, it costs your team 6 points. If you lose by a tech fall, it is 5 points. A loss on points is 3. About 6 years ago we lost the conference championship by 1 point. A loss by points instead of a pin would have won the meet for us. (Of course, a win would have, too!)

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.