Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg Riding Help

Default Re: Leg Riding Help

Spider, thanks for the email. I worked on the guillotine with my nephew last night and I now have a question. When he pulls the arm behind his head, what is the general call for potentially dangerous? There were a couple of times when he had my shoulder in a position that did hurt, so I pretty much rolled the way he wanted me to go. But if a ref was there and I fought it or just screamed, would they call potentially dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    Spider, thanks for the email. I worked on the guillotine with my nephew last night and I now have a question. When he pulls the arm behind his head, what is the general call for potentially dangerous? There were a couple of times when he had my shoulder in a position that did hurt, so I pretty much rolled the way he wanted me to go. But if a ref was there and I fought it or just screamed, would they call potentially dangerous?
    There's a lot of variation in how far the arm can be pulled back before a given referee will call it potentially dangerous. If you duck under your opponent's arm and put it behind your neck so that your shoulder is in his armpit when you reach behind his head, you don't need to crank the arm at all to turn him over and you will never get called. The important thing here is to drop to your hip, not your butt, and to keep your hip fused tightly to his with no space between.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

That must be what we were doing wrong. Thanks again. We will work on it again tomorrow. I am hoping he gets comfortable enough to try it in a match at some point this year. I've already told him to try it in practice, but I better get a text to him before practice starts today so he doesn't get used to doing it the wrong way.

For a beginner riding legs, the most important things to remember are to keep his hip tight to his opponent's hip, and to keep his hips higher than his opponent's. Also, he usually wants to keep his body parallel to the mat (belly button facing down). Good luck and feel free to email me with any questions. It's sometimes hard to follow the outline without pictures or real people demonstrating.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.