Thread: Standing Granby

Default Standing Granby

Any thoughts on the standing granby, so i am really good at getting to my feet off the whistle, but have serious trouble getting out, i dont get lifted, dont get tripped, but i always get pulled back and rolled to the mat, just cant stop it, i sag my hips and everything, but just cant stop it, so my new answer is the standing granby, i can pull it off but havent really tried in a match or much in practice, any tips or cautionary tales?

Default Re: Standing Granby

High school teammate of mine tried it in college and as a result of doing it wrong has been a quadriplegic for the rest of his life.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

wow... um... thx...? thats umm... helpful?

I wouldn't try it, a friend of mine tried it in practice. He was the best wrestler on our team and he was wrestling the second best and ended up bruising his face up and broke his nose from landing on his face lol.

but all of these circumstances r because of them messing up, and wat im doing isnt like an all out standing granby, its more like a granby right after he pulls me to the ground

One thing you could try is instead of doing the actual rolling motion from your feet is if they're tight and close, you could step behind so your hip is behind his, pick up the knee and fall to your back in a granby/peterson position while keeping hand control. It's kinda hard to explain but it's not exactly a granby roll.. It's more like a trip to a granby position.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hunch View Post
    but all of these circumstances r because of them messing up, and wat im doing isnt like an all out standing granby, its more like a granby right after he pulls me to the ground
    Then hit a granby right when you hit the mat.. it really should be a last resort move from your feet. Keep hand control during your stand up and he will have a very tough time bringing you back to the mat with just one arm.

PS... Spider isn't being rude in his comment... he's giving you a real life example of what can happen what the move is done improperly. Do I think you'll wind up with the same fate? Probably not, but its good to know what *can* happen if everything comes unglued.

If you are that good at getting to your feet, and your opponents are now expecting to be able to pull you backwards, you might try working on a standing switch. Done well (of course - that goes for all moves) it is an effective move with less drama, but less negative consequences, than the granby.

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

not for the faint of heart. watch the whole match. it's worth it. standing granby by a hwt.

285lbs Final Zachery Rey Lehigh vs Ryan Flores American | 2011 EIWA Championships | Flowrestling