Thread: Wrestling Practice Outline

Default Wrestling Practice Outline

My coach asked all the wrestling to come up with a practice outline that we think we should follow. any constructive critisism would be AWESOME!

We end school/end last class at 2:55pm and we end practice at 5:35pm

------------------
    Before Practice
    -------------------
    3:10 - 3:15 - Warm Up/Jogg
    3:15 - 3:20 - Stretch + Neck Exercises

-------------------
    Neutral
    -------------------
    3:20 - 3:30 - Stance in motion + Sprawling
    3:30 - 3:35 - Hand Fighting
    3:35 - 3:45 - Takedowns
    3:45 - 3:55 - Finishes

------------------
    -------------------
    3:55 - 4:10 - Breakdowns
    4:10 - 4:25 - Riding/Keeping wrestler Down
    4:25 - 4:35 - Pins

--------------------
    Bottom
    ---------------------
    4:35 - 4:50 - Escapes/Reversals
    4:50 - 5:05 - Getting off Our Backs/Escaping Pins

------------------------
    Conditioning
    ------------------------
    AT LEAST 1 LIVE MATCH EVERDAY! Other than that....choose what you want wrestlers to do that day

5:05 - 5:35:

- Situations
    - Sprints
    - Stairs
    - Circut
    - Bodyweight Exercising

------------------------------------
    MY THOUGHTS/NOTE TO COACHES
    ------------------------------------

- Watch wrestlers and help as necessary

- Answer the wrestler(s) question(s) individually during the section of practice instead of after so there is (much) less talking and (way) more time for wrestling

- Situations don't have to be worked so much because as we are practicing we are basically working situations because even though the coaches tell the partner don't apply so much resistance all of the wrestlers know that we do it anyway

- Condition at the end because I noticed that if we condition before we'll be tired, less attentive, and won't wrestle as hard

- KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Default Re: Wrestling Practice Outline

If you're going to lump live wrestling with conditioning your "conditioning" should be a half hour longer and your drilling a half hour shorter.

At this point in the season you should know the technique well enough to execute it live and in situations. It will make you get better at the move much faster practicing it at 100% against an opponent than lightly drilling it.

"Condition at the end because I noticed that if we condition before we'll be tired, less attentive, and won't wrestle as hard"

From a mental side of things its better because you're already exhausted and need to be brought to the point of breaking to get the full value out of a workout... you can't really condition yourself at the beginning and get the most out of it for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    At this point in the season you should know the technique well enough to execute it live and in situations. It will make you get better at the move much faster practicing it at 100% against an opponent than lightly drilling it.

"Condition at the end because I noticed that if we condition before we'll be tired, less attentive, and won't wrestle as hard"

You noticed that or someone told you that? :P
    FIRST OFF....MY OUTLINE WON! So we now follow my practice outlined (with the help of you too) and everyone loves it because we were SO TIRED at the end. Which we usually aren't as tired as we were after practicing with my outline We got a lot more done too

as for the drilling we did 100% all out drilling of moves so basically situations/drilling. thanks

and as for the conditioning haha both

You need to spend more time on live and conditioning.. drilling, even if its hard, is no match for the real thing.. just sayin...

Since you don't know me or have any reason to just "believe" me - It's not coming from me personally, I grew up in the Apple Valley (you know them, right? :P) program and its how they do it... I just say what I know works - no credit to me whatsoever.

yeah because I have lost every single match this season, but i do really well during live in the wrestling room i win most of the time (i think it's because i wrestle the same people all the time) but so far we only go live 1-2 days per week and on those days we do like 2-3 matches. and the rest of the time we drill and condition. we've been doing this since the beginning of the season. not to mention i drill on my own for 1-2 hours at home by myself after i do homework and on the weekends EVERYDAY even though we have practice. so i have a feeling doing live more might help me out.

and yeah apple valley wrestler's are BEAST! (i wish we had 88 ropes in our wrestling room to climb around )