Thread: Megaludis over Gulibon 4-3

Default Megaludis over Gulibon 4-3

In one of the most anticiapted bouts of the season, Franklin Regional's Nico Megaludis won a 4-3 decision over Derry's Jimmy Gulibon in the 125-pound finals of the Westmoreland County Coaches Tournament Saturday night.

The meeting of the two-time PIAA champions came about when Gulibon decided to move up a weight from 119 because he had trouble staying at 119. He plans to compete in the postseason at 119.

Each wrestler is ranked No. 1 in the country, state and WPIAL in their respective weight classes. Megaludis, a senior, is now 23-0 this season, 142-1 in his career and has won 108 bouts in a row. He also is one of just three wrestlers to win four Powerade Christmas Wrestling Tournaments.

Gulibon, a junior, is now 13-1 this season, 88-3 in his career.

Following a scoreless first period, Megaludis chose down and escaped for the only point of the period. Gulbon reversed Megaludis early in the third for a 2-1 lead. But Megaludis escaped, then took Gulibon down as the more than 2,000 fans at Franklin Regional High School roared. Megaludis allowed Gulibon to escape in the final seconds to make it a one-point decision.

http://joesmatmatters.blogspot.com/2...s-gulibon.html

Default Re: Megaludis over Gulibon 4-3

I would have LOVED to go to that match. I'm hoping Nico stays with his decision to go to PSU. With Pataky Graduating (finally) it opens up this slot nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Badcat View Post
    I would have LOVED to go to that match. I'm hoping Nico stays with his decision to go to PSU. With Pataky Graduating (finally) it opens up this slot nicely.
    Is there rumor he'd back out? After watching him, McCauley, and McIntosh over the past couple weeks I think he's going to be the most successful in college. McCauley has had way too many close matches at the HS level to be ready immediately for D1. A year at the OTC will be good for him. Same with McIntosh - needs to be more offensive on his feet and get much better on the mat. Megaludis needs to work on changing up his footwork and set ups, but his learning curve on the mat will make that a lot easier to focus on.

I haven't heard any rumors like that, personally. I did hear in an interview with Flo that if he took a redshirt year, he'd bulk up and go 133, but if he wrestled as a true freshman, he'd stay 125.
    Am I cool now?

No Rumors have been circulating, and I didn't mean to suggest so. It's just my paranoia seeping out. He is going to bolster PSU's lineup significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Badcat View Post
    Nico is very firm in his decision to go wrestle for Cael. Jimmy is a training partner & supposedly wants him to come to PSU with him. Jimmy won't tell Nico where he is going. I have heard that Gulibon is leaning elsewhere.

The only thing I have heard about "transfers" was from someone who goes to practices once in awhile said that "someone" wasn't happy about Andrew Long arriving. Whatever....

I know who he was implying but I try to deal in facts & what I have heard from people right there with the program on the ground floor. If I feel it necessary to repeat a rumor I make sure I say it is a rumor. If it is a fact I just state what is but don't reveal the source.

I think your statement Badcat comes from the fact that PSU's room is loaded with lots of lower weight talent & there isn't going to room for everyone. Only Pataky & Lynch graduate from the entire team. Quite a few posters & people close to the program have WONDERED out loud if that would induce some kids to leave.

Possible next year line up:

125: Megaludis, Morgan/Cashera b/u Martelotti RS
    133: Long, Sherlock/Pearsall b/u Waters R/S
    141: Luke Frey, Andrew Alton RS
    149: Molinaro, Dylan Alton/James English b/u
    157: Taylor, Vollrath b/u
    165: Cowburn, Kemerer/Fischer b/u
    174: Ruth, Church/Philips b/u
    184: Wright, Ortega b/u
    197: Steadman, (if he ever recovers) or McIntosh, (if he doesn't RS), b/u Ruggear, (may move up)
    285: Wade, Gingrich b/u, Campbell RS

Martelotti, Pearsall, English, Vollrath & Kemerer have all shown that they have the capability of cracking the top 20. Martelotti finished ahead of Pataky @ the SS. Pearsall has completely turned himself around from last season. English beat two top 10 guys @ the S&B and finished 7th @ the SS. Vollrath finished 3rd @ the SS. So as you can see, PSU has a few back ups that could start somewhere else.

I have stated numerous times that if we look @ the Harold Nichols/Dan Gable model of building a championship team/dynasty you get kids who accept the challenge of having the toughest room in the country, the honor of wrestling for the coach & the program & NOT thinking how fast can I get a starting position. As far as I know no one is going anywhere.

I put this on the thread I started but in case you missed that, here is the match. Watch for the split Nico does @ the 1 minute mark to counter a single leg shot by Jimmy.

<embed src="http://videoplayer.flocasts.org/player.swf" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="270" bgcolor="#" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="image=http://d1xm19c2e3uqmo.cloudfront.net/1085394_IMG_00802_1294793783462_l.jpg&logo=http://c0179261.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/455029_jV0OavTSlp5SuBSTY6JD_o.gif&file=http://d18tka3ecu2l5z.cloudfront.net/1085394_IMG_00802_1294793783462.mp4&frontcolor=000 000&lightcolor=cc9900&controlbar=over&stretching=f ill"/><div>Visit <a href="http://www.pawrvideo.com">www.pawrvideo.com</a> for more Videos</div>