Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tendon injury in practice today

Default Tendon injury in practice today

I think I over-stretched my left hip tendon and my right knee tendon today in practice. We didn't stretch before the practice today for some reason. I went through the rest of practice just fine. But I am a bit worried. Is this something to worry about? Should I skip leg workouts until it is healed?

What should I do?

It doesn't hurt that much but there is discomfort and some minor pain.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Default Re: Tendon injury in practice today

You should really warm up well before practice. But don't do any static stretches(where you stretch the muscle for longer than 20-30 seconds). I say this because static strecthing has proven to decrease muscle strength by over 30%. That means you're starting practice 70% instead of a well needed 100%. What you should do is dynamic stretches. For example: Leg swings are great dynamic stretches for your hamstrings. Look up dynamic stretching and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    You should really warm up well before practice. But don't do any static stretches(where you stretch the muscle for longer than 20-30 seconds). I say this because static strecthing has proven to decrease muscle strength by over 30%. That means you're starting practice 70% instead of a well needed 100%. What you should do is dynamic stretches. For example: Leg swings are great dynamic stretches for your hamstrings. Look up dynamic stretching and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Thanks, I didn't stretch today because I thought that the coach would make us stretch. Which is the usual routine but I guess not that day; so I didn't get the chance.

Hmmm, coach led practices aren't permitted until the 15th in NJ.

Talk to your coach and trainer. Sinews can last for a while unless you deal with it now.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post

Talk to your coach and trainer. Sinews can last for a while unless you deal with it now.
    This doesn't have to do with wrestling. It is only conditioning outside the mats and it isn't mandatory to come. And actually we've only had 1 "practice" before the 15th. Next practice is on the 18th.

Now since I know that they are called "sinews" I will do some research about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post

Different states have different rules. In FL we are already having preseason tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    This doesn't have to do with wrestling. It is only conditioning outside the mats and it isn't mandatory to come. And actually we've only had 1 "practice" before the 15th. Next practice is on the 18th.

Now since I know that they are called "sinews" I will do some research about it.
    I have had some tendonitis in my wrist for the last 15 days or so and I was really scared it would affect my wrestling. I started using the RICE method and it has made my wrist feel a whole lot better. I am 95% healed but I'm hoping this final night of rest will make it 100% before practice tomorrow.

You should try the rice thing, but I don't know how well it'll work with your hips.

RICE stands for:

Rest
    Ice
    Compression (I didn't really use this one..)
    Elevation

more info here:

http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/s...ice_method.htm

Thanks mpaul.

Should I try stretching it little by little?

Yeah sure, why not? Make sure you don't overdo it though because I overdid it and I aggravated my wrist, so the healing time was extended. By the way, what did you do on the first day :P? Some of my friends who wrestled last year told me 7 people passed out last year on the first day. They also said about 60 kids came on the first day, but only 30 were left by the second day..