Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh, new coach

Default Ugh, new coach

The wrestling team is getting a new coach who has never coached wrestlers before. He's a great football coach but now will be covering both sports. Just found this out and it's because of school budget cuts that we lost the old wrestling coach. Not looking forward to this.

Default Re: Ugh, new coach

Hopefully, he'll rely on the seniors and more experienced team members to help him along. Also, it would be good if he got an assistant with some experience. Give him a chance, he may surprise you, and be glad that the sport iself didn't get the ax.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

That really sucks.. You can always transfer schools.

You can always nag the school a lot about this and get a lot of people to sign petitions and stuff. Just let them know that your getting affected by this and so are others and that wrestling isn't just some "other" sport. They have to know that you guys aren't happy with this choice. Because fact is they don't know how much getting an inexperienced coach will affect the wrestling program, some people are just ignorant of that.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

I wouldn't write him off before you see his work ethic. Technique will obviously be an issue, but if he is good at coaching football he isn't going to fail on purpose. Believe in his ability to lead a team and suggest bringing in guest clinicians to cover techniques that may be too advanced for him.

If hes a good football coach then conditioning will probably be a huge asset to him which he can help with. He should also be a good strength coach as well. All thats left is technique, have him rely on seniors and have him read some books. Winning Wrestling Moves is a good one in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    I wouldn't write him off before you see his work ethic. Technique will obviously be an issue, but if he is good at coaching football he isn't going to fail on purpose. Believe in his ability to lead a team and suggest bringing in guest clinicians to cover techniques that may be too advanced for him.
    I really don't think you can lead a team of wrestlers good if you don't have at least more than 3 years of wrestling experience at a good level. The coach teaches not gets taught. It won't work out. He won't have any idea on technique and basics will be hard for him to get even get down, let alone teach it.

I am against just accepting the coach so easily. He should do something about it. The coach will teach incorrect forms/basics/techniques and develop very bad habits for some wrestlers.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Quote Originally Posted by rich1990 View Post
    The wrestling team is getting a new coach who has never coached wrestlers before. He's a great football coach but now will be covering both sports. Just found this out and it's because of school budget cuts that we lost the old wrestling coach. Not looking forward to this.
    You say he has never coached wrestlers before, but has he wrestled before? High school at least, maybe college if your lucky! Give him a chance see what he has to offer. He will maybe turn out to be a great coach. You never know until you let him try.

I would like to have a program where the school could save money by cutting the wrestling coach!

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    I would like to have a program where the school could save money by cutting the wrestling coach!
    So coaching salaries still qualify for Obama's tax cut?
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.