Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About to start wrestling..

Default Re: About to start wrestling..

Shoes:
    You could maybe ask if someone on the team has an extra pair or some old ones. I know in our family we always had some extra shoes around. Sometimes the coaches keep a few pairs in the coaches room if somebody forgets or doesn't have them.

Some coaches cut wresters, others keep extra kids on the squad. Our coach keeps extra wrestlers and sends them to JV events. He arranges for JV matches at dual meets. Don't be dissapointed if you do not make the varsity squad your first year. I recommend going to youth meets and getting yourself some mat time. Do not worry about winning, just get some quality mat time.

My son's coaches vary the running from day to day. Do the best you can every day and your performance will improve. My son plays 3 sports and the toughest conditioning workouts are his wrestling workouts (he plays football and lacrosse also).

Most schols practice every day after school for about 3 hours. My son maintains very good grades even though he plays 3 sports, he's in marching band, and on math team (his GPA was 4.8 first quarter). Being active outside of school teaches you alot about time management. If you are worried about time management ask your parents to help you. I am sure they will be willing to get you off to a good start.

As for shoes-I don't think shoes make a huge difference. Get an inexpensive pair to start.

Wow your son is doing awesome! I checked out the pictures of my schools wrestling team from last year. There were 19 boys on the varsity team and 27 on the JV team so I think I have a small chance haha.

You can do well also. If you are committed to doing well in sports and in school you just have to learn how to manage your time very well. I am sure your parents can help. Just have fun!!!!

Yeah I have a 4.5 GPA at the moment so I was scared practice might cut into my homework time. I especially don't want to mess up in my first year of high school. Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

If you can keep that weight and turn it to muscle mass, your going to be a terror on the mat. Your short height means a lower center of gravity that many wrestlers may find it hart to deal with until they have wrestled you a couple times or at the very least after a couple of minutes in the ring.

Use your advantages well.

Quote Originally Posted by mpaul View Post
    Yeah I have a 4.5 GPA at the moment so I was scared practice might cut into my homework time. I especially don't want to mess up in my first year of high school. Thanks for the advice and recommendations!
    Can you arrange an independent period during the day? My son has 9 hours during his day. He met with his guidance counselor and told her he really wanted a 9th hour independent because of his difficult course load and high level of school involvment (he is also a mentor to new students). She was able to help him arrange his schedule.

Can you do something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Proudpatriot View Post
    Can you arrange an independent period during the day? My son has 9 hours during his day. He met with his guidance counselor and told her he really wanted a 9th hour independent because of his difficult course load and high level of school involvment (he is also a mentor to new students). She was able to help him arrange his schedule.

Can you do something similar?
    I wish I could. I don't have block schedules like your son. All of my period slots are filled up and I don't want to drop any course because I'll have to retake them next year or later on. My goal is to have 2 or 3 classes in senior year so I can spend my time acing those hard classes. I'm probably going to take AP Chemistry and Statistics or something.