Thread: Can't complete a shot

Default Can't complete a shot

I've been wrestling for about a year and a half now, and I'm not too great, but I'm not horrible either. I've mostly focused on technique rather than strength, since it seems like no matter what I do, someone will be stronger than me in my weight class. No matter how good my technique is, however, I just can't complete a shot.

I'm horrendously slow at my shots, it's not even funny. Everything else I do is quick and agile, but my shots look like I never wrestled before. Needless to say, my last years takedown totals were below 10 for over 30 matches. Instead of working on my shots more last year though, I worked on my shot-defense and general defense, so I became a very good defensive wrestler.

I was only pinned 4 times last season, and perfected a couple pinning combinations, but I could never score points off of a takedown. What are some drills or things I should work on to improve my shot? It always seems like the opponent can read me and sprawls out on my shot or gets my head.

Default Re: Can't complete a shot

Learn to shoot off the tie. Underhooks, overhooks, Russian. You dont have to be real strong just create misdirection or get them off balance. You can hit every shot from a tie and you dont have to be fast. Or get better at setting the shot up.

And I think maybe the reason is your shots are not improving is because your doing something wrong. You should ask your coach to watch you and correct the mistake. Then if you find the problem practice the correct motion. Even if you have to do it slow, but once you sort of get that down then pick up the speed. After you feel you have it down. Then start trying to get in on a shot from different situations, like the under hook or your Russian tie up like UGLY states in is post above.

Being a good wrestler is just like being good at anything else, you have to get your practice in (or in this case your reps). Do what the people above my post said. See what you are doing wrong and target the problem. After you do this then every free second you get on a wrestling mat, practice your shots. You can do what alot of coaches have their wrestlers do, simply do drop steps up and down the mats...repeatedly. Get your reps in. Make it to where shooting is a part of your basic motor skills, as if it were as easy as walking, so that when you get in a match you won't even have to think about it. It will just come to you.
    That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by MIwrestler View Post
    I've been wrestling for about a year and a half now, and I'm not too great, but I'm not horrible either. I've mostly focused on technique rather than strength, since it seems like no matter what I do, someone will be stronger than me in my weight class. No matter how good my technique is, however, I just can't complete a shot.

I'm horrendously slow at my shots, it's not even funny. Everything else I do is quick and agile, but my shots look like I never wrestled before. Needless to say, my last years takedown totals were below 10 for over 30 matches. Instead of working on my shots more last year though, I worked on my shot-defense and general defense, so I became a very good defensive wrestler.

I was only pinned 4 times last season, and perfected a couple pinning combinations, but I could never score points off of a takedown. What are some drills or things I should work on to improve my shot? It always seems like the opponent can read me and sprawls out on my shot or gets my head.

Well Your first problem is your self-esteem (no offense), you think your weak. But like every problem there's a solution. First you have to get stronger. You might not think your getting stronger but, all those up-downs and push-ups your coach makes you do, well guess what buddy, believe it or not their making you stronger. There's a lot of site that can help you get your strength up no matter what size you are. If you want to train with weights. Go to the high school. Free weight lifting there.

Second, post what you do when you take a shot. Or make a video. That way people can help you on what your doing right or wrong. Also, there are other ways you can take your opponent down. Tie up. There's a lot of moves when you tie up. My personal favorite is the duck under and 2-on-1 or duck under and claw. And it's good that your a counterattack person but you always want to master 3 takedowns.

Lots of good advice here, but sadly I won't be able to take any of it and use it for quite a while due to a severe back injury that may have put me out of the season altogether; that's part of the reason why I haven't posted here much or in a while, still too much pain and time in an icebath.

Lots of good advice here, but sadly I won't be able to take any of it and use it for quite a while due to a severe back injury that may have put me out of the season altogether; that's part of the reason why I haven't posted here much or in a while, still too much pain and time in an icebath.
    Well, keep your chin up and study in the video library and the study section. Get ready, and when your time comes, get the most out of it.

That sucks dude, But like Schlottke said, don't give up. Train hard and come back stronger.
    veo estado campeonato en mi futro.....

(i see a state championship in my future)