Thread: needs help

Default needs help

Hi, im Collin and im new here. But basically my wrestiling expieriance isnt that great. In 9th grade I did freestyle wrestling, 10th grade took a break for grades and other reasons. And now im in 11th and participating in wrestling. Besides, wrestling I have about 1 years expieriance in submission grappling. I am not really too good at wrestling and I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations or tips on how to get better before my senior year, and how to learn strategy and stuff like that.

Default Re: needs help

Quote Originally Posted by Zaslyfrek View Post
    Hi, im Collin and im new here. But basically my wrestiling expieriance isnt that great. In 9th grade I did freestyle wrestling, 10th grade took a break for grades and other reasons. And now im in 11th and participating in wrestling. Besides, wrestling I have about 1 years expieriance in submission grappling. I am not really too good at wrestling and I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations or tips on how to get better before my senior year, and how to learn strategy and stuff like that.
    The only true way to learn the sport of wrestling, is to do it. Strategy is something your coach should teach you and you will develop your own feel for things the more you o them.
    There are books out there, but they will not make you a wrestler, just offer insite to wrestling. Maybe that would be a start for you.
    Check out flowwrestling for some video's on technique, documentaries, training guides and so on.

Default Re: needs help

What you need to do is try to forget everything you previously learned from the other wrestling styles you did. Because even though its still wrestling, its a different transition. Good habits on your other wrestling profession will usually be bad habits in folkstyle. Try your best to lose the bad habits by just starting fresh and forget your previous experience. Many times the bad habits will make you lose a match because its a whole different ball-game in folkstyle.

And here in folkstyle you will focus more on takedowns from the legs rather than the upper body. You can try a couple upper body tosses here and there but you have to be more careful in folkstyle. Watch out for your legs.

Have fun in folkstyle, its fun and technical, and its my favorite.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."