Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 34

Thread: Playing the edge

  1. #19

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    I knew an old high school football coach who would never run trick plays (half back pass, double reverse, fake punts).

    He felt that this wasn't the way the game was meant to be played.

    He went 0-10 in has last season before he was forced into retirement.

    I think this relates to what Gallan is saying.


    It's like the motto of the TV show Survivor - "Out Wit, Out Play, Out Last".

    If you're physically not the better wrestler, I don't have a problem trying to win by being the smarter wrestler... as long as it is within the rules.

  2. #20
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Club him and jack him up with an underhook if he wants to play the edge. Move him around. His edge can now be your edge with a free shot. If the set-up doesnt work you are now out of bounds
    Exactly. Adjust to the tactic instead of just saying, "well that is not the way wrestling should be".

    We as a wrestling community get caught up too much in the way it "should be", instead of adapting to the way it "is". I can show countless threads on the new rules in international wrestling which suggest this mentality.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  3. #21
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    I knew an old high school football coach who would never run trick plays (half back pass, double reverse, fake punts).

    He felt that this wasn't the way the game was meant to be played.

    He went 0-10 in has last season before he was forced into retirement.

    I think this relates to what Gallan is saying.


    It's like the motto of the TV show Survivor - "Out Wit, Out Play, Out Last".

    If you're physically not the better wrestler, I don't have a problem trying to win by being the smarter wrestler... as long as it is within the rules.
    Exactly!
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  4. #22
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    I knew an old high school football coach who would never run trick plays (half back pass, double reverse, fake punts).

    He felt that this wasn't the way the game was meant to be played.

    He went 0-10 in has last season before he was forced into retirement.

    I think this relates to what Gallan is saying.


    It's like the motto of the TV show Survivor - "Out Wit, Out Play, Out Last".

    If you're physically not the better wrestler, I don't have a problem trying to win by being the smarter wrestler... as long as it is within the rules.
    Exactly. Trick plays are within the rules. Playing the edge is stalling. I'll grant that it's sometimes okay to coach a kid to be less aggressive if he's up by two points in the neutral position with ten seconds to go, but it's not okay to routinely use the edge of the mat as a defensive aid.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  5. #23
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Exactly. Trick plays are within the rules. Playing the edge is stalling. I'll grant that it's sometimes okay to coach a kid to be less aggressive if he's up by two points in the neutral position with ten seconds to go, but it's not okay to routinely use the edge of the mat as a defensive aid.
    Show me in the rule book where "playing the edge" is against the rules. Show me where it is exactly defined what "playing the edge" is. Watch the NCAA finals, and pretty much any NCAA match, any best match from the quarters on, or high level HS at Reno, or Ironmad, or the Beast, and get back to me on all of that. After that, tell me how you call playing the edge with the stategy and tactics I gave on doing it without "stalling".

    Now I realize I am not playing fair here, but dang it..... people are doing it, doing it smart, winning with it, it is great strategy..... other than being a purist (it is just wrong - dang it!).... how can argue against it (and I am one of the coaches who make sure the refs see that edge playing is happening!)?

    If I were a purely folkstyle coach, and had a talented group, I would concentrate on two things.... edge of the mat, and funk to either high hip wins, or a stalemate. It is what works now. The smart coaches (as Bailey hinted at) will find a way to counteract the "new" strategy. Which is the cereberal nature of the sport.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  6. #24
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    Show me in the rule book where "playing the edge" is against the rules. Show me where it is exactly defined what "playing the edge" is.
    2008-09 NFHS Rules Book, page 41. Rule 7, Section 6, Article 3. b.:
    "It is stalling in the neutral position when a wrestler . . . plays the edge of the mat." It's like pornography - it may be hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

    So if you coach this "strategy," you are coaching your wrestler to stall. As I said above, I am [sometimes] a realist and admit that there are times when it's prudent to spend a warning or stalling point at the end of a match to protect your lead, but that's different from using a stalling technique as a match strategy.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #25
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    2008-09 NFHS Rules Book, page 41. Rule 7, Section 6, Article 3. b.:
    "It is stalling in the neutral position when a wrestler . . . plays the edge of the mat." It's like pornography - it may be hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

    So if you coach this "strategy," you are coaching your wrestler to stall. As I said above, I am [sometimes] a realist and admit that there are times when it's prudent to spend a warning or stalling point at the end of a match to protect your lead, but that's different from using a stalling technique as a match strategy.
    I remember reading about that..... hopefully people actually start calling it. They can still get away with it at the higher levels to be sure, but it is (or should be) pretty easy to see at the lower levels.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  8. #26
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    It's just like in the thread about pulling on goggles. Competent officials will call these things without hesitation. Unfortunately, competent officials are not always that plentiful.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #27

    Default Re: Playing the edge

    Personally I am for it. I was taught to use the edge of the mat, wether on my feet, top or bottom. I would stay about three feet from the edge and if they got in to deep I could scramble and make it look like I wasn't fleeing.

    I am with ground and pound. I would like to see 2nd and 3rd periods be top and bottom. I was a mat wrestler and when they went to the neutral possition it hurt me some. I was decent on my feet, but was best on the mat.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •